Dietary Guidelines for Dialysis Patients

• Medical
  • Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an old man who has to start dialysis and the guidelines for his diet. The girlfriend, who will be taking care of him, is looking for a list of specific foods he can or cannot eat. It is mentioned that the diet for someone on dialysis is different from a typical healthy diet and that the doctor should have provided dietary guidelines and possibly consulted with a dietitian. The conversation also mentions that there are many resources available online for recipes tailored to the needs of dialysis patients.
tribdog
I know an old man who has to start dialysis. My girlfriend is going to be taking care of him. What are some guidelines as far as diet is concerned. She's really looking for a list of specific foods she can or can not give him.

Biology news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
I know an old man who has to start dialysis. My girlfriend is going to be taking care of him. What are some guidelines as far as diet is concerned. She's really looking for a list of specific foods she can or can not give him.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/eatright/

it looks like the diet for someone on dialysis is the exact opposite of what I thought of as a healthy diet. eat lots of eggs and meat. stay away from bran.

Okay, I guess I misunderstood what she needed. She has a list of foods he can and can't eat. Is there a place where I can input the ingredients and get recipies?

The old gent's doctor should have given him some dietary guidelines and should also have had him consult with a dietitian. Depending on his weight and pre-existing conditions, such as high blood pressure, there may be lots of little tweaks to make. Since his kidneys have stopped working, lots of stuff can build up in his blood between dialysis sessions, and some of the build-up can be toxic or fatal.

If you Google on "dialysis diet" you will get LOTS of hits, including collections of recipes, but your GF should be aware that she'll need the guidance of a dietitian to tailor those recipes to the needs of the patient.

yeah, she's got the list from the physician. I guess she's just looking for ways to make meals out of the ingredients

1. What are the dietary restrictions for dialysis patients?

The dietary restrictions for dialysis patients include limiting foods high in phosphorus, potassium, and sodium. This means avoiding processed foods, dairy products, and foods high in salt. Protein intake may also need to be limited, depending on the patient's individual needs.

2. Can dialysis patients still have a balanced diet?

Yes, dialysis patients can still have a balanced diet. It is important to work with a registered dietitian to create a meal plan that meets the patient's individual needs and restrictions. This may include incorporating foods that are lower in phosphorus, potassium, and sodium, while still providing adequate protein and other essential nutrients.

3. Are there any specific foods that dialysis patients should avoid?

Dialysis patients should avoid foods that are high in phosphorus, potassium, and sodium. This includes processed foods, dairy products, and foods that are high in salt. It is also important to limit or avoid alcohol and caffeine, as they can have negative effects on the body's fluid balance.

4. How much fluid should a dialysis patient consume?

The amount of fluid a dialysis patient should consume depends on their individual needs and the type of dialysis they are receiving. In general, it is important to limit fluid intake to prevent excess fluid buildup in the body, which can lead to complications. A registered dietitian can help determine the appropriate amount of fluid for each patient.

5. Can dialysis patients still enjoy their favorite foods?

With some modifications, dialysis patients can still enjoy their favorite foods. It is important to work with a registered dietitian to determine which foods can be incorporated into the diet and in what amounts. It is also important to remember portion control and to limit foods that are high in phosphorus, potassium, and sodium.