DIAMAGNETIC LEVITATION: can a frog really levitate?

In summary, a website claims that a frog can levitate with a large magnetic field of 10 Tesla due to diamagnetism. However, there is skepticism about this claim and no significant effects have been observed on non-magnetic materials. A paper and a Nobel prize-winning study have also been mentioned in relation to this topic.
maajdl
Gold Member
I found a website claiming that a frog can levitate.
A "large magnetic field" of the order of 10 Tesla is all that would be needed.
And the effect would be a consequence of diamagnetism.

http://www.ru.nl/hfml/research/levitation/

I am a little bit skeptic about that.
I was familiar, long ago with large devices where magnetic field of the order of 3 Tesla were used.
I had never heard of big effects on "non-magnetic" materials (like wood for example).

What do you think about that?
Could you give some order of magnitudes and explain what would be the effect of large magnetic fields on diamagnetic substance?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose if you were to feed the frog enough iron filings!

(Reminds me of Mark Twain's "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County".)

1. Can a frog really levitate using diamagnetic levitation?

Yes, it is possible for a frog to levitate using diamagnetic levitation. This phenomenon occurs when a diamagnetic material, such as water, is placed in a magnetic field. The water molecules become temporarily magnetized and repel the magnetic field, causing the object to levitate.

2. Is diamagnetic levitation safe for the frog?

Yes, diamagnetic levitation is completely safe for the frog. The magnetic field used for levitation is not strong enough to harm the frog in any way. Additionally, the levitation process only lasts for a short period of time and does not cause any long-term effects.

3. What other objects can be levitated using diamagnetic levitation?

Any object that is diamagnetic, such as plants, insects, and even small animals like frogs, can be levitated using diamagnetic levitation. However, the size and weight of the object will determine how high it can be levitated.

4. Are there any real-world applications for diamagnetic levitation?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for diamagnetic levitation. One example is in the field of medicine, where researchers use diamagnetic levitation to study the effects of microgravity on biological systems. Diamagnetic levitation is also used in the development of new materials and in the purification of drugs and proteins.

5. How does diamagnetic levitation differ from other forms of levitation?

Diamagnetic levitation differs from other forms of levitation, such as magnetic levitation, because it does not require any external power source. The levitation is purely based on the properties of the material being levitated and the magnetic field. Additionally, diamagnetic levitation can only be achieved with objects that are diamagnetic, while other forms of levitation can work with a wider range of materials.