Bounding the Diameter of Union of Two Sets in a Metric Space

In summary: For the second problem, take d(b,A)-d(c,A)Can you show that?Yes, this can be shown easily.For the third problem, take diam(A U B)<= diam A+ diam B+ d(A,B)Can you show that?Yes, this can be shown easily.
nirajkadiyan6
Hi, I am stuck with the following proofs. In metric space
here, A,B,C are subset of metric space (X,d) and C is bounded

Problem 1.) d(A,B) <=d(A,C)+d(B,C)+diam(C)
Problem 2.)|d(b,A)-d(c,A)| <= d(b,c) where 'b' belongs to 'B' and 'c' belongs to 'C'.

Problem 3)- diam(A U B)<= diam A+ diam B+ d(A,B) ,Here d(A,B)= inf {d(a,b)| a belong to A and b to B}

I think if i get some clue even about one i can handle other one.

Thanks in advance..:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nirajkadiyan6! :smile:

For the first one. Take [itex]a\in A,b\in B, c\in C,c^\prime \in C[/itex] arbitrary. It suffices to show

[tex]d(A,B)\leq (a,c)+d(b,c^\prime)+d(c,c^\prime)[/tex]

Can you show that?

This was the thing i proved in very first attempt but it is not helping me
This can be proved easily but, for arbitrary a and c, d(a,c) can't be simply written is d(A,C) as d(A,C) is smallest distance between some a',c'
so d(a,c)< d(A,C) for arbitrary a,c
Same holds for d(A,B)

Do you mean me to take c and c' to be those elements of C which makes d(A,C) and d(B,C) shortest.

If it is the case then i am done with my problem.
Can you suggest something about others.

nirajkadiyan6 said:
Do you mean me to take c and c' to be those elements of C which makes d(A,C) and d(B,C) shortest.

If it is the case then i am done with my problem.
Can you suggest something about others.

No, such a c and c' won't exist in general. But if you show the inequality in my post for all c and c', then you've shown it for the infimum too.

That's what the problem is. I am not able to show it for all c and c'.

just apply the triangle inequality for a certain choice of c and c'. This works for every choice of c and c'...

It works for all c and c' but then how can we prove the original problem with all c and c'

1. What is the definition of the diameter of union of two sets?

The diameter of union of two sets is the maximum distance between any two elements in the combined set. It represents the largest possible distance between any two points in the union of the two sets.

2. How is the diameter of union of two sets calculated?

To calculate the diameter of union of two sets, you must first find the distance between every pair of elements in the combined set. Then, take the maximum of these distances to determine the diameter.

3. Can the diameter of union of two sets be negative?

No, the diameter of union of two sets cannot be negative. It represents a distance, which is always a positive value.

4. What does the diameter of union of two sets tell us about the sets?

The diameter of union of two sets tells us the maximum distance between any two elements in the combined set. This can give us insight into the spread or distribution of the elements in the two sets.

5. How is the diameter of union of two sets useful in real-world applications?

The diameter of union of two sets is useful in various fields such as statistics, data mining, and network analysis. It can help identify the outliers or extreme values in a dataset and can also be used to measure the distance between two networks or clusters.