How can I use probability to solve a dice problem with a two-dice table?

From there, you should be able to calculate the probabilities requested.In summary, the probability of throwing two dice and getting a sum that is divisible by seven is 1/6, the probability of the sum having factors whose sum is even is 7/11, and the probability of the sum being a composite number is 7/12. The key is to consider all 36 possible rolls and weight the probabilities accordingly. Also, make sure to clarify the interpretation of the question to determine which sums qualify for the desired condition.
npellegrino
Draw a table for throwing two dice (one red one blue). Find the probability.

1. That the sum is divisible by seven
2. The sum has factors whose sum is even
3. The sum is a composite number.

My solutions:

1. 1/6
2. 7/11
3. 7/12

Work is attached:
Any advice would be great. Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• work copy.jpg
    work copy.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org

npellegrino said:
Draw a table for throwing two dice (one red one blue). Find the probability.

1. That the sum is divisible by seven
2. The sum has factors whose sum is even
3. The sum is a composite number.

My solutions:

1. 1/6
2. 7/11
3. 7/12

Work is attached:
Any advice would be great. Thanks in advanced.

I believe #1 and #3 are correct. Still trying to get my head around #2, but you are probably correct.

Yes, 2 was tricky, it's the factors of the sum that are only even. But would I consider all 36 sums or only the 12 (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) hmmm

You need to consider all the 36 possible rolls, right? If I asked you, "what's the probability that a roll will come up 7?", you wouldn't answer 1/11, you'd answer 1/6 (I hope!). But I could phrase that question in many different ways: "What's the probability that the number on the bottom of one die is equal to the number on top of the other? What's the probability that you will roll the fourth prime number?", etc..

But no way of phrasing the question changes the fact that they want the *probability* that the condition will be fulfilled, which has to be weighted by how frequently the dice fall on the various numbers.

Take a look at the sum of 10. You have listed the factors 1,2,5,10. I would call those the divisors of 10. Had I been asked to factor 10 into prime factors I would have written 10 = 2*5. So the first thing to do is to be sure to know what interpretation of the question is intended.

Once you have determined which sums qualify for what you are looking for you can use the pdf of X = the sum of the dice to add P(X = k) for the qualifying values of k.

1. What is a dice probability problem?

A dice probability problem is a mathematical question that involves calculating the chances of certain outcomes when rolling one or more dice. These problems often involve determining the likelihood of rolling a specific number or combination of numbers.

2. How do you calculate the probability of rolling a certain number on a single die?

To calculate the probability of rolling a certain number on a single die, you divide the number of possible outcomes (6) by the total number of outcomes (6). This gives you a probability of 1/6 or approximately 16.67%.

3. What is the probability of rolling a specific combination of numbers on two dice?

The probability of rolling a specific combination of numbers on two dice is determined by dividing the number of ways that combination can occur by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, the probability of rolling a 6 on both dice is 1/36 or approximately 2.78% (1/6 x 1/6).

4. How do you calculate the probability of rolling at least one even number on two dice?

To calculate the probability of rolling at least one even number on two dice, you can first calculate the probability of rolling an odd number on both dice (3/6 x 3/6 = 9/36). Then, subtract this probability from 1 to get the probability of rolling at least one even number, which is 27/36 or approximately 75%.

5. What is the probability of rolling a total of 7 on two dice?

The probability of rolling a total of 7 on two dice is 6/36 or approximately 16.67%. This can be calculated by finding the number of ways to roll a 7 (6) and dividing it by the total number of possible outcomes (36).