Dice Probability: Calculating Consecutive Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability of consecutive numbers when tossing three dice. The formula used is nPr = 3P3, which is equal to 3!/0!. The probability is calculated to be 6/216 or 1/36. The listener also shares their code in R to simulate rolling the dice 1000 times and compares it to the calculated probability, with the result being close to 1/36.
boneill3
Not sure if I should ask this here but

I'm trying to find the probabilty of consecutive numbers on tossing three dice. eg 1 2 3 , 4 5 6 etc

My workings so is

nPr = 3P3 (how many permutaions of 3 numbers in order)

= n!/(n-r)! = 3!/0! = 6

What
I did next is calulate all possible outcomes of three dice = 6 x 6 x 6 = 216

Therfore the probabilty of consecutive numbers on three dice = 6/216 = 1/36

Does this look right ?
I'm not quite sure if the permutaion calculation is right or if i have to multiply it by six...
regards
Brendan

Physics news on Phys.org
boneill3 said:
What
I did next is calulate all possible outcomes of three dice = 6 x 6 x 6 = 216

Therfore the probabilty of consecutive numbers on three dice = 6/216 = 1/36

Does this look right ?

Yep.

Going up: 3 ways of choosing the first die, other two are fixed: 3/216
Going down: 3 ways of choosing the first die, other two are fixed: 3/216

Thanks for your reply.
I've created an function using R to simulate rolling the dice 1000 times and I needed to compare it with the calculated probability.

Here' my code

RollDie=function(n) sample(1:6,n,replace=T) #function to roll 1 dice

result=0 #results hold the number of successive throws

for (x in c(1:1000) ) #loop 1000 times
{
die1 = RollDie(1) #roll first die

die2 = RollDie(1) #roll second die

die3 = RollDie(1) #roll third die

if (((die1 == die2-1) & (die2 == die3-1)) || ((die1 == die2+1) & (die2 == die3+1))) #if dice in consecutive order add to result
{
result = result+1

}
else
{}
}

print(result) #print number of successive values

P3succesivenumbers=(result/1000) #calculate probability

print(P3consecutivenumbers) #print probability

And the Probabilty came out as:

print(P3consecutivesivenumbers) #print probability
[1] 0.029

Which is pretty close to 1/36 = .0277

thanks
Brendan

1. What is dice probability and how does it relate to calculating consecutive numbers?

Dice probability is the likelihood of obtaining a certain outcome when rolling a set of dice. In the context of calculating consecutive numbers, it refers to the chance of rolling a specific sequence of numbers in a row.

2. How do you calculate the probability of rolling consecutive numbers on a pair of dice?

To calculate the probability of rolling consecutive numbers on a pair of dice, you need to first determine the total number of possible outcomes. In this case, there are 6 possible outcomes for each die, so the total number of outcomes is 6 x 6 = 36. Then, you need to count the number of ways to roll consecutive numbers. For example, there are 6 ways to roll a 2 and 3, 6 ways to roll a 3 and 4, and so on. Therefore, the probability of rolling consecutive numbers on a pair of dice is 6/36 or 1/6.

3. What is the probability of rolling consecutive numbers on three dice?

The probability of rolling consecutive numbers on three dice is slightly more complicated to calculate. You first need to determine the total number of outcomes, which is 6 x 6 x 6 = 216. Then, you need to count the number of ways to roll consecutive numbers. For example, there are 6 ways to roll a 1, 2, and 3 (1-2-3, 2-3-1, 3-1-2, 2-1-3, 3-2-1, 1-3-2), and the same applies for each consecutive number sequence. Therefore, the probability of rolling consecutive numbers on three dice is 6 x 6 = 36/216 or 1/6.

4. How does the number of dice affect the probability of rolling consecutive numbers?

The more dice you roll, the higher the probability of rolling consecutive numbers. For example, if you roll four dice, the probability of rolling consecutive numbers increases to 6 x 6 = 36/1296 or 1/36. This is because there are more possible combinations of dice that can result in consecutive numbers.

5. Can you use dice probability to predict future rolls?

No, dice probability is based on random chance and cannot be used to accurately predict future rolls. Each roll of the dice is independent of the previous one, so the outcome cannot be influenced by past rolls. However, by understanding probability, you can make more informed decisions when playing games involving dice.