Did I do my loop analysis correctly?

In summary, the conversation involved solving a circuit problem and checking the solution. The initial attempt at the solution was incorrect, but the person learned to check their work and was able to correct it to get the final answer of I0 = 4mA.
naivy

Homework Statement

4oJrx.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we were to call the bottom right loop I1, the top loop I2, and the bottom right loop I3. I got the following:

I1 = 1mA
I2 = 6mA
I3 = 2mA

Which gives me a final answer of I0 = -1mA.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not correct.

checking your answer is trivial. All the loop currents become immediately obvious once you assume you have I0, and then you can get the voltages across the resistors and when you add them up, you'll find that the voltage across the 20V source is not 20V, so clearly you have the wrong answer. Learn how to check you work. It's often just this simple.

I fixed it and got:

I1 = 3mA
I2 = -1mA
I3 = -1mA

Which gives me a final answer of I0 = 4mA.

Yes, it appears that you have correctly analyzed the loops and calculated the current in each loop. However, without more information about the specific circuit or problem, it is difficult to determine if your final answer of -1mA is correct. In general, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem. Additionally, it may be helpful to label your loops and use Kirchhoff's laws to validate your results.

1. How do I know if my loop analysis is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your loop analysis, you can check if the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the sum of voltage sources. Additionally, you can also verify if the direction of current flow in each branch matches the direction of the assumed current flow in your analysis.

2. What are the common mistakes in loop analysis?

Some common mistakes in loop analysis include incorrect labeling of voltage drops and sources, incorrect direction of current flow, and forgetting to include all voltage sources in the loop.

3. Can I use loop analysis for non-linear circuits?

No, loop analysis is only applicable for linear circuits. For non-linear circuits, other methods such as nodal analysis or the superposition theorem may be used.

4. How many loops should I use in my analysis?

The number of loops needed for an accurate analysis depends on the complexity of the circuit. As a general rule, you should use as many independent loops as there are independent variables (voltage sources or currents) in the circuit.

5. What is the difference between mesh analysis and loop analysis?

Mesh analysis is a special case of loop analysis that is used for planar circuits with only current sources. In mesh analysis, the circuit is divided into meshes, while loop analysis involves choosing any closed path in the circuit. Additionally, mesh analysis uses Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, while loop analysis uses Kirchhoff's Current Law.