Mesh Analysis KVL: Homework Solutions

In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit problem with two loop equations. The person is struggling with choosing the current directions and getting the correct signs, but eventually gets the correct answers by including the 6 ohm resistor in the path and remaining consistent with the chosen current directions. They also clarify that current directions are arbitrary but must be consistent once chosen.
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

KVL.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not getting the correct answers, this is what I tried

Loop 1: 150 - 14*i1 - 6(i1+i2) = 0

Loop 2: -24 + 3*i3 = 0
Therefore i3 = 8A

7A = i2 + i3
Therefore i2 = 7-8 = -1A

Plugging that in equation 1, I get i1 = 7.8A

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Loop 1 looks good. Can you explain your Loop 2 equation in more detail? What components are in the Loop 2 path, and are you summing potential drops or potential rises?

The arrows on your figure hint that you are traversing the loop counterclockwise, and along with the assumed direction of I3 that you've indicated would make the change in potential across the 3 Ohm resistor positive, which your equation indicates, but it also shows the contribution from the 24 V supply to be negative. So, a contradiction there. There should be at least one more term in the equation, because you've just passed the 3 Ohm resistor and haven't made it back to the bottom of the 24 V supply yet...

What is I2 in that diagram? Is it the current in the branch with the current source?

milesyoung said:
What is I2 in that diagram? Is it the current in the branch with the current source?

I2 forms part of the 7A current. The 7A splits into I2 and I3, so 7A = I2 + I3

gneill said:
Your Loop 1 looks good. Can you explain your Loop 2 equation in more detail? What components are in the Loop 2 path, and are you summing potential drops or potential rises?

The arrows on your figure hint that you are traversing the loop counterclockwise, and along with the assumed direction of I3 that you've indicated would make the change in potential across the 3 Ohm resistor positive, which your equation indicates, but it also shows the contribution from the 24 V supply to be negative. So, a contradiction there. There should be at least one more term in the equation, because you've just passed the 3 Ohm resistor and haven't made it back to the bottom of the 24 V supply yet...

I am summing potential drops across the resistors

I thought the voltage would be negative on the 24V battery because I am moving opposite to the current flow. By one more term, do you mean I should include the 6 ohm resistor in loop 2 ?, or maybe their should be 3 loop equations and I am missing one ?

TheRedDevil18 said:
I am summing potential drops across the resistors
But you haven't closed the loop. You have a term for the 24 V supply and another for the 3 Ohm resistor. How do you get back to the 24 V supply?
I thought the voltage would be negative on the 24V battery because I am moving opposite to the current flow. By one more term, do you mean I should include the 6 ohm resistor in loop 2 ?, or maybe their should be 3 loop equations and I am missing one ?
Always count the potential change across a voltage supply in terms of your direction of travel around the loop, not the current direction. Current direction will influence the sign of the potential change across a resistor, but voltage supplies are fixed regardless of the current direction.

You could include the 6 Ohm resistor in the path, or continue on around via the 14 Ohm resistor and 150 V supply. Either is fine, the important thing is you must close a loop for the sum to be zero.

gneill said:
But you haven't closed the loop. You have a term for the 24 V supply and another for the 3 Ohm resistor. How do you get back to the 24 V supply?

Always count the potential change across a voltage supply in terms of your direction of travel around the loop, not the current direction. Current direction will influence the sign of the potential change across a resistor, but voltage supplies are fixed regardless of the current direction.

You could include the 6 Ohm resistor in the path, or continue on around via the 14 Ohm resistor and 150 V supply. Either is fine, the important thing is you must close a loop for the sum to be zero.

Ok, thanks. I included the 6 ohm resistor in the path and here are my equations now

Loop 1, same as before
150 - 14*i1 - 6(i1+i2) = 0

Loop 2: 24 + 3*i3 - 6(i1+i2) = 0 (I subbed 7-i2 for i3)

Solving these two equations I get i1 = 7.5 and i2 = 0

Therefore the 150V source = i1 = 7,5A
The 6 ohm resistor = i1+i2 = 7.5A
The 24V source = i3 = 7-i2 = 7A

Yay, got the correct answers, thanks for your help :)

One more question, I sometimes get confused with choosing the current directions and this leads to the incorrect signs. I heard the current directions are arbitrary, is that the case ?

TheRedDevil18 said:
One more question, I sometimes get confused with choosing the current directions and this leads to the incorrect signs. I heard the current directions are arbitrary, is that the case ?
Yes, current directions are arbitrary (except for current sources which are defined to have a particular direction). You must, however, be consistent in their use once you've chosen them.

gneill said:
Yes, current directions are arbitrary (except for current sources which are defined to have a particular direction). You must, however, be consistent in their use once you've chosen them.

Cool, thanks

Q1. What is Mesh Analysis?

Mesh Analysis is a method used to analyze and solve electrical circuits using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). It involves creating mesh currents within the circuit and applying KVL to each individual mesh to solve for the unknown variables.

Q2. How is Mesh Analysis different from Nodal Analysis?

Mesh Analysis and Nodal Analysis are two different methods used to analyze electrical circuits. While Mesh Analysis uses KVL, Nodal Analysis uses Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). Mesh Analysis is typically used for circuits with a smaller number of nodes and a larger number of meshes, while Nodal Analysis is more suitable for circuits with a larger number of nodes and a smaller number of meshes.

Q3. What are the steps to perform Mesh Analysis?

The steps for performing Mesh Analysis are:

1. Identify all the meshes in the circuit.
  2. Assign a current direction to each mesh.
  3. Apply KVL to each individual mesh, using Ohm's Law to express the voltages in terms of the mesh currents.
  4. Create a system of equations and solve for the mesh currents.
  5. Use the mesh currents to determine the voltages and currents in the rest of the circuit.

Q4. Can Mesh Analysis be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Mesh Analysis can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, for AC circuits, the voltages and currents are expressed in terms of complex numbers instead of real numbers.

Q5. Are there any limitations to using Mesh Analysis?

While Mesh Analysis is a powerful tool for solving electrical circuits, there are a few limitations to keep in mind. It can only be used for circuits with a single voltage source and a linear relationship between current and voltage. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for very large or complex circuits.