Mesh Current Method: Solve for Vx in Network Q11

In summary: So Vx is 4.35∠-194.5In summary, using the mesh current method, the voltage Vx in the network of Fig.Q11 is 4.35∠-194.5.
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

Obtain the voltage Vx in the network of Fig.Q11, using the mesh current method.
(Ans: Vx=4.35∠-194.5)

impedance.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not getting the correct answer, are my loop equations correct ?

10 - 2*i1 + 2j*i1 -5j(i1+i2) -5(i1+i3) = 0
4.33 + 2.5j - 10*i2 -5j(i1+i2) +2(i3-i2) -2j(i3-i2) = 0
-10*i3 + 2j(i3-i2) -2(i3-i2) -5(i1+i3) = 0

Therefore,

i1(-7-3j) + i2(-5j) -5*i3 = -10......(1)
i1(-5j) + i2(-12-3j) + i3(2-2j) = -4.33-2.5j.....(2)
-5*i1 + i2(2-2j) + i3(-17+2j) = 0.......(3)

Physics news on Phys.org
TheRedDevil18 said:
10 - 2*i1 + 2j*i1 -5j(i1+i2) -5(i1+i3) = 0
4.33 + 2.5j - 10*i2 -5j(i1+i2) +2(i3-i2) -2j(i3-i2) = 0
-10*i3 + 2j(i3-i2) -2(i3-i2) -5(i1+i3) = 0

Some of the signs in the 2nd equation look wrong to me (but it's been a while since I used KVL -- I usually use KCL).

Can you talk through why you chose the signs that you did for the 2nd equation?

berkeman said:
Some of the signs in the 2nd equation look wrong to me (but it's been a while since I used KVL -- I usually use KCL).

Can you talk through why you chose the signs that you did for the 2nd equation?

Okay, I have labeled the currents in my diagram

4.33+2.5j, That's the voltage of the source in the second loop in complex form (Voltage rise so it's positive)
-10*i2, Voltage drop across the resistor, hence negative sign
-5j(i1+i2), Voltage drop across the inductor, negative sign
+2(i3-i2), Positive sign because the loop is traveling opposite to the current direction as labeled
-2j(i3-i2), Because impedance is negative for a capacitor and loop is traveling opposite in direction to current, so +*- = - sign

One of the difficulties is that we are not told which terminal of each source is (+) and which is (-), i.e., which is the reference terminal.

Perhaps assume the marked current is indicative of the source polarity, though I don't know whether we can generalize that to other problems like this. :oldconfused:

I do get the same equations as you, though haven't checked them.

Perhaps reverse the voltage source in the second loop, and see whether you get the book's answer that way?

NascentOxygen said:
One of the difficulties is that we are not told which terminal of each source is (+) and which is (-), i.e., which is the reference terminal.

Perhaps assume the marked current is indicative of the source polarity, though I don't know whether we can generalize that to other problems like this. :oldconfused:

I do get the same equations as you, though haven't checked them.

Perhaps reverse the voltage source in the second loop, and see whether you get the book's answer that way?

I tried reversing it but still get the same answer, maybe I am solving it wrong so here are my steps. I used crammers rule

Determinant,
7+3j ...5j...5
5j...12+3j...-2+2j
5....-2+2j...17-2j

Solving that I get, -73+405j

Then for i3,
7+3j...5j...10
5j...12+3j...4.33+2.5j
5...-2+2j...0

Solving that I get, -744.52-100.77j

Therefore i3 = (-744.52-100.77j)/(-73+405j)
= 0.08 + 1.82j

So V = (0.08+1.82j)*10
= 0.8 + 18.24j

Or, 18.26∠87.49

What is the Mesh Current Method?

The Mesh Current Method is a technique used in circuit analysis to solve for unknown voltages or currents in a network of interconnected components. It involves creating loops in the circuit and using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to set up equations that can be solved for the desired variable.

How do you apply the Mesh Current Method to solve for Vx in Network Q11?

To solve for Vx in Network Q11 using the Mesh Current Method, you would first identify all the loops in the circuit and assign a variable (usually a current) to each loop. Then, you would use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to write an equation for each loop. Lastly, you would solve the resulting system of equations to find the value of Vx.

What are the advantages of using the Mesh Current Method?

The Mesh Current Method allows for the analysis of complex circuits with multiple loops and sources. It also allows for the determination of individual voltages and currents in a circuit, rather than just the overall behavior of the circuit.

What are the limitations of the Mesh Current Method?

The Mesh Current Method is not suitable for circuits with dependent sources. It also requires a good understanding of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and the ability to set up and solve systems of equations.

Are there any tips for using the Mesh Current Method effectively?

To effectively use the Mesh Current Method, it is important to carefully label and define the loops in the circuit and to use a systematic approach when setting up and solving the equations. It can also be helpful to double check the equations and solutions to ensure accuracy.