1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did I set up my integral correctly?

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    use triple integral to find volume of the solid in the first octant that is bounded above by[tex] x+2y+3z=6[/tex] and laterally by the clyinder [tex]x^2+y^2=4[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the given plane I got:
    [tex]Z=2-\frac{1} {3}x-\frac{2} {3}y[/tex]
    from the given Cylinder i got:
    [tex]y=\sqrt{4-x^2}[/tex]

since its only interested in the first octant, lower bounds should all be zero.

so I get [tex]\int_{x=0}^2\int_{y=0}^\sqrt{4-x^2} \int_{z=0}^{2-\frac{1} {3}x-\frac{2} {3}y} \,dz \, dy \, dx[/tex]

my concern is with Z's lower bound, I think it should be 0 as well, but if using [tex]z=x^2+y^2-4[/tex] seems like also okay, but being this way, this cylinder became a different solid, it became an infinite paraboloid. so that means I cant just set [tex]z=x^2+y^2-4[/tex] ? because the Z value of an infinite cylinder does not depend on x or y?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine to me.
    Yes. You're in the first octant, where ##x \ge 0, y \ge 0##, and ##z \ge 0##.
    No, it's not. The equation of the cylinder is ##x^2 + y^2 = 4##. z is completely arbitrary, so you can't just stick it in the equation.

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The "equation" ##z = x^2+y^2-4## has no connection to the problem, because the lowest point on the plane and the curve ##x^2+y^2=4## has positive ##z##. Therefore, the lowest value of ##z## is ##z = 0## and the top face of the cylinder does not come down that far. In short, you setup is correct.

BTW: thanks for using a typed version, which in this case is do-able because no diagrams are needed.

5. Nov 12, 2015 #4
    got it. thank you all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted