Did Lord Kelvin Say "If You Can't Measure It, It Isn't Real!"?

In summary, Lord Kelvin (William Thomson), a renowned physicist and mathematician in the 19th century, is credited with the quote "If you can't measure it, it isn't real!" This quote means that in order for scientific concepts and theories to be considered valid, they must be measurable and quantifiable. This quote is still relevant in modern science as measurement and quantifiability are fundamental aspects of the scientific method. There are some exceptions to this quote, particularly in theoretical physics where certain concepts may not be directly measurable but can still be considered valid through mathematical models and predictions. This quote also highlights the importance of experimentation in science, as it allows for the testing and validation of theories through measurement and observation.
klimatos
The other day, in conversation, I attributed the dictum, "If you can't measure it, it isn't real!" to Lord Kelvin. However, when I chanced to look it up in Wiki, I could find no confirmation of this attribution. Was I mistaken? Did Lord Kelvin ever say anything to this effect? If not, is there some other source?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Did Lord Kelvin Say "If You Can't Measure It, It Isn't Real!"?

1. Did Lord Kelvin really say "If you can't measure it, it isn't real!"?

Yes, Lord Kelvin (William Thomson) is credited with this quote. He was a renowned physicist and mathematician in the 19th century.

2. What does this quote mean?

This quote means that scientific concepts and theories must be measurable and quantifiable in order to be considered valid or true.

3. Is this quote still relevant in modern science?

Yes, this quote is still relevant in modern science. The concept of measurement and quantifiability is a fundamental aspect of the scientific method, and it is essential for establishing the validity of scientific theories and hypotheses.

4. Are there any exceptions to this quote?

There are some exceptions to this quote, such as certain fields in theoretical physics where certain concepts may not be directly measurable but can still be considered valid through mathematical models and predictions.

5. How does this quote relate to the importance of experimentation in science?

This quote highlights the importance of experimentation in science. Through measurement and observation, scientists are able to test and validate their theories, making them more reliable and credible.