Did Quasars Play a Role in the Formation of Galaxies?

In summary, there is no theory that suggests that galaxies are formed from quasars. Quasars are believed to be a stage in the evolution of galaxies, but not the cause of their formation. Current theories involve the gravitational influences of supermassive black holes in assisting galaxy formation, but there is no evidence to suggest that quasars can evolve into standard rotating galaxies. Some theories do suggest that fast spinning Kerr black holes can evaporate, but this is a topic that is still being debated and researched. Additionally, there is no known formula for the evaporation of fast rotating black holes. As for the possibility of quasars being an early stage in the evolution of rotating galaxies, this is not supported by current theories and evidence.
SpiderET
Im wondering, if there is some theory, which is proposing that galaxies were formed from quasars?

Or if not, are there some facts which are opposing such formation?

Space news on Phys.org
A quasar is believed to be an actively feeding supermassive black hole. Such a feeding frenzy is probably unlikely until galaxy formation is well underway.

Chronos said:
A quasar is believed to be an actively feeding supermassive black hole. Such a feeding frenzy is probably unlikely until galaxy formation is well underway.

Yes, but I am not sure if this is answer to my question.

Both galaxies and quasars probably have supermassive black hole in the center. The question is, could it be possible, that over time quasars evolve into standard rotating galaxies?

Is there some theory which is predicting such evolution? I personally do believe, that supermassive black hole in center of quasar decreases feeding and gravitational pull over time and then it evolves into standard galaxy. Now I am searching for theories which would either predict something similar or are ruling it out.

Good luck but you won't find any theory that a supermassive black hole will eventually collapse into a galaxy. For that matter the only theory that suggests black holes can ever evaperate is by Hawking radiation. That process would take longer than the age of the universe.

However the gravitational influences of black holes may assist galaxy formation.

Last edited:
Mordred said:
That process would take longer than the age of the universe.
So let's take an extremely fast spinning Kerr black hole with a large mass M, how long does it take to evaporate for a given background temperature?

A 1 solar mass black hole would take roughly 2.0*10^67 years

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

Im not sure how the calculations would apply on a fast spinning kerr BH offhand.

Mordred said:
A 1 solar mass black hole would take roughly 2.0*10^67 years
For a fast spinning Kerr black hole or a Schwarzschild black hole?

The figute above is Shwartzchild non rotating

Mordred said:
The figute above is Shwartzchild non rotating
1. Would you agree that most (if not all) black holes in our universe spin?
2. Would you agree that experimental data seems to indicate that they spin rather quickly?
3. Then would it not follow that we should use the evaporation formula for a fast rotating black hole instead of a Schwarzschild black hole?
4. If it turns out that we actually do not have a good evaporation formula for a fast rotating black hole and that all we have is a Kerr black hole without an interior solution should we exclude the possibility that fast rotating black holes can evaporate much faster based on the fact that Schwarzschild black holes take a very long time to evaporate?

I understand what your asking. I have read a few articles debating that very question. One believe is that kerr black holes eventually form Schwartchild black holes. Other papers such as this one describe otherwise.

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9801044

most solutions I've seen involve converting the evaperation energy to a shwartzchild leading to similar evaperation rates. However its not an area I've studied in depth. Its something I am currently working on.

Mordred said:
Good luck but you won't find any theory that a supermassive black hole will eventually collapse into a galaxy. For that matter the only theory that suggests black holes can ever evaperate is by Hawking radiation. That process would take longer than the age of the universe.

However the gravitational influences of black holes may assist galaxy formation.

Thanks for response and for insight regarding current theories regarding this topic.

I have my very own crackpot gravity theory which is extending general relativity and one of the predictions of this theory is that apart from Hawking radiation there is also an additional source of decreasing gravity of fast rotating supermassive black holes. This would lead into transformation of quasars to galaxies and it would also explain galaxy rotation problem.

But what I understand, because of forum rules, I am not allowed to present my theory here, so I am just explaining why I am asking this question.

That article above is a 1998 article. If you google Kerr black hole evaperation. You will be able to find numerous papers. Do the same at the arxiv site for current proposols.

This article may assist your research. It has a compiled list of formulas regarding accretion disk measurements.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1104.5499

SpiderET said:
Im wondering, if there is some theory, which is proposing that galaxies were formed from quasars?

Or if not, are there some facts which are opposing such formation?
Quasars are a result of the formation of galaxies. It doesn't even make sense to talk about a galaxy forming from a quasar, any more than it makes sense for a solar system to form from a planet.

Chalnoth said:
Quasars are a result of the formation of galaxies. It doesn't even make sense to talk about a galaxy forming from a quasar, any more than it makes sense for a solar system to form from a planet.

I doubt that this solar system example is relevant. Solar system evolved around Sun in the center, not around planet.
But both quasars and galaxies have in the center supermassive black holes and all evolved around of these supermassive black holes. But the question is as following: Is it possible, that quasars are only an early stage in evolution of rotating galaxies?

SpiderET said:
I doubt that this solar system example is relevant. Solar system evolved around Sun in the center, not around planet.
The reason why I used a planet as the example in the analogy is because the supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies tend to be, at most, a few percent of the galaxies' mass. The Sun, on the other hand, contains nearly all of the mass of our solar system. So a quasar is much more like Jupiter in the analogy: significant impact on the structure of the solar system (e.g. by preventing the planet that tried to form in the asteroid belt from actually forming), but a small fraction of the total mass, and in no sense the cause of the solar system forming in the first place.

SpiderET said:
But the question is as following: Is it possible, that quasars are only an early stage in evolution of rotating galaxies?
Quasars are what happens when the nuclei of galaxies gobble up matter. This happens when galaxies first form, and can also happen when galaxies collide.

Chalnoth said:
The reason why I used a planet as the example in the analogy is because the supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies tend to be, at most, a few percent of the galaxies' mass. The Sun, on the other hand, contains nearly all of the mass of our solar system. So a quasar is much more like Jupiter in the analogy: significant impact on the structure of the solar system (e.g. by preventing the planet that tried to form in the asteroid belt from actually forming), but a small fraction of the total mass, and in no sense the cause of the solar system forming in the first place.

Quasars are what happens when the nuclei of galaxies gobble up matter. This happens when galaxies first form, and can also happen when galaxies collide.

OK, understanding it now, thanks for explanation.

SpiderET said:
Yes, but I am not sure if this is answer to my question.

Both galaxies and quasars probably have supermassive black hole in the center. The question is, could it be possible, that over time quasars evolve into standard rotating galaxies?

Is there some theory which is predicting such evolution? I personally do believe, that supermassive black hole in center of quasar decreases feeding and gravitational pull over time and then it evolves into standard galaxy. Now I am searching for theories which would either predict something similar or are ruling it out.

Quasars are part of a galaxy, they're they're just the active galactic nucleus of a SMBH gobbling up matter. Eventually they will fizzle out, whether it's the energy output pushing material away, or there's "no more stuff" to eat... in which case a quasar becomes a non-active galaxy kind of like the Milky Way, which could have been a quasar in the past (or at the very least some type of other active galaxy)

P.Bo said:
Quasars are part of a galaxy, they're they're just the active galactic nucleus of a SMBH gobbling up matter. Eventually they will fizzle out, whether it's the energy output pushing material away, or there's "no more stuff" to eat... in which case a quasar becomes a non-active galaxy kind of like the Milky Way, which could have been a quasar in the past (or at the very least some type of other active galaxy)
Indeed, there's evidence of jets streaming from the center of our own galaxy that indicate that our black hole may have been active as recently as 20,000 years ago:
http://www.nature.com/news/ghostly-jets-seen-streaming-from-milky-way-s-core-1.10749

Related to Did Quasars Play a Role in the Formation of Galaxies?

1. How do galaxies form from quasars?

Galaxies can form from quasars through a process called galaxy merging. When two or more galaxies collide, the gas and dust in each can become compressed and trigger the formation of new stars. Quasars, which are extremely bright and active supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies, can also contribute to the formation of new stars by heating up the gas and dust in their vicinity.

2. What are quasars and how are they related to galaxies?

Quasars are the most luminous and energetic objects in the universe, powered by supermassive black holes at their centers. They are typically found at the centers of galaxies, indicating a strong connection between the two. In fact, it is believed that quasars may have played a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

3. Are all galaxies formed from quasars?

No, not all galaxies are formed from quasars. While quasars may have been involved in the formation of many galaxies, there are other processes that can lead to the formation of galaxies, such as galaxy collisions, gas accretion, and mergers of smaller galaxies.

4. How long does it take for a quasar to form a galaxy?

The exact timeline for how long it takes for a quasar to form a galaxy is still uncertain. It likely depends on a variety of factors, including the mass of the black hole, the rate at which it is accreting matter, and the environment in which it is located. It is estimated that the process could take anywhere from millions to billions of years.

5. Can quasars still exist in galaxies that have already formed?

Yes, quasars can still exist in galaxies that have already formed. In fact, many galaxies, including our own Milky Way, have a central supermassive black hole that could potentially become active and form a quasar in the future. However, the likelihood of this happening decreases as the galaxy ages and the black hole's supply of gas and dust decreases.