Did the Math Department get this wrong?

• Thread starter mileena
  • Start date
In summary: The diagram shows the relationship between the two triangles. You can figure out which leg the 12" side of the smaller triangle corresponds to by looking at the picture.
mileena
I am going to be taking a geometry assessment test. I have a problem with four of the 20 questions in the sample practice assessment test they provide. Specifically with the answers the Math Department gives at the bottom of the test. Before I confront them, please tell me if I am crazy. How can a college math department be wrong in such a simple subject?? I hope I am wrong.

http://www.losmedanos.edu/Groups/Math/web/documents/MicrosoftWord-26challengeinfopacket.pdf

Problem 3)
" Find the measure of the interior angles of a regular 5-gon. "

Their answer is 180 degrees

Is not the answer 540 degrees?? [(n-2) * 180] ?

Problem 7)
"Find the area of the equilateral triangle with side length of 10 yds. "

Their answer is 25 radical 3.

My answer is (25 radical 3) / 2 since the area of a triangle is (bh)/2

Problem 9b)
Can you look at the diagram from the link above. I might be wrong, but I think there is no way to know which leg of the larger triangle the 12" side of the smaller triangle corresponds to. Therefore, I can't find the ratio of lengths and then apply the Pythagorean Theorem to the smaller triangle.

Problem 17)
" Find the area of the circular garden, where the length of the fence around the garden is 62.8m. Round your answer to 1 decimal place. "

Their answer is 313.8 meters squared.

My answer is 314.0 meters squared (approximately equals 100pi)

[Also, problem 5 is wrong in that they neglected to provide the measurement of the other angle (90 degrees) in the answer.]

Physics news on Phys.org
mileena said:
I hope I am wrong.
Your wishes have been granted!

Problem 3)

Read their answer again. It's 108 degrees (540/5), not 180. The question is admittedly a bit vague, but I would take it as asking about the angle subtended by each of the interior angles rather than the sum of those angles.
Problem 7)

Their answer is correct. What is the base of the triangle? The height?
Problem 9b)
Can you look at the diagram from the link above. I might be wrong, but I think there is no way to know which leg of the larger triangle the 12" side of the smaller triangle corresponds to. Therefore, I can't find the ratio of lengths and then apply the Pythagorean Theorem to the smaller triangle.
Look at the pictures. Each triangle has a long leg and a short one. They give the length of the long leg for each. You don't need to know how long the shorter leg is to answer the question.
Problem 17)
" Find the area of the circular garden, where the length of the fence around the garden is 62.8m. Round your answer to 1 decimal place. "

[tex]A=\pi\left(\frac{62.8}{2\pi}\right)^2 = 313.84\cdots[/tex]
Round this to 1 place and you get 313.8. You apparently made the mistake of rounding in your intermediate calculations.

mileena said:
I am going to be taking a geometry assessment test. I have a problem with four of the 20 questions in the sample practice assessment test they provide. Specifically with the answers the Math Department gives at the bottom of the test. Before I confront them, please tell me if I am crazy. How can a college math department be wrong in such a simple subject?? I hope I am wrong.

http://www.losmedanos.edu/Groups/Math/web/documents/MicrosoftWord-26challengeinfopacket.pdfProblem 3)

Unfortunately both of your links show only blank so I cannot be certain what the exact question is or what the answer is supposed to be. Yes, the total interior angles in any 5-gon is 540 degrees. Each angle in a regular pentagon is 540/5= 108 degrees. (NOT 180.)
Problem 7)

Dropping a perpendicular to one side divides the equilateral triangle into two right angles having hypotenuse 10 and one leg 5. The other leg (the altitude of the equilateral triangle) has length sqrt(100- 25)= sqrt(75)= 5sqrt(3). So bh/2= (10)(5sqrt(3))/2= 25sqrt(3). (The area of each right triangle is 25sqrt(3)/2. That may be what you calculated.)

Problem 9b)
Again, I can't read the problem.
Problem 17)

That "62.8" is misleading (I can't help but wonder if intentionally!) It is exactly 20 times 3.14 so it seems perfectly reasonable to use that for pi, doesn't it? But if you use the more accurate 3.141592, the diameter is 62.8/3.141592= 19.98987 so the radius is 9.99493 m and the area is (3.141592)(9.33493)= 31.4 square meters.

[Also, problem 5 is wrong in that they neglected to provide the measurement of the other angle (90 degrees) in the answer.]
Can't see the problem!

D H said:
Your wishes have been granted!

Haha. Funny.

D H said:
Read their answer again. It's 108 degrees (540/5), not 180. The question is admittedly a bit vague, but I would take it as asking about the angle subtended by each of the interior angles rather than the sum of those angles.

Ok, I just read the question too quickly. If I had read more closely, I would have also divided by 5. Ugh. My bad.

D H said:
Their answer is correct. What is the base of the triangle? The height?

Ugh. You're right. I just did the area of the smaller 30-60-90 triangle which is part of the equilateral triangle. I tried doing the test too fast!

D H said:
Look at the pictures. Each triangle has a long leg and a short one. They give the length of the long leg for each. You don't need to know how long the shorter leg is to answer the question.

But the triangles they give may not be to scale. The shorter leg might actually be longer than what appears to be the longer leg.
D H said:
[tex]A=\pi\left(\frac{62.8}{2\pi}\right)^2 = 313.84\cdots[/tex]
Round this to 1 place and you get 313.8. You apparently made the mistake of rounding in your intermediate calculations.

Ok, I wish I knew how to do those mathematical symbols on a post like you!

This is what I did:

2(pi)(r) = 62.8
r = 31.4/pi

A = (pi)(31.4/pi)squared =
(pi)(31.4/pi)(31.4/pi) =
[(31.4)(31.4)]pi =
985.96/pi =
985.96/3.14 =

Did I do something wrong? Isn't 3.14 a good enough approximation of pi?

HallsofIvy said:
Unfortunately both of your links show only blank so I cannot be certain what the exact question is or what the answer is supposed to be.

HallsofIvy, I do appreciate your help, despite the link not working!

What browser are you using? It worked for me on both Firefox and IE.

Here is the link in full, with a space placed after each of its three periods (.) so it will appear on this website (maybe that will help?):

http://www. losmedanos. edu/Groups/Math/web/documents/MicrosoftWord-26challengeinfopacket. pdf

[remove the 3 spaces above after the periods, and copy]

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, the total interior angles in any 5-gon is 540 degrees. Each angle in a regular pentagon is 540/5= 108 degrees. (NOT 180.)

Thank you. As D H also pointed out, I even gave their answer wrong! "108" is correct.

HallsofIvy said:
Dropping a perpendicular to one side divides the equilateral triangle into two right angles having hypotenuse 10 and one leg 5. The other leg (the altitude of the equilateral triangle) has length sqrt(100- 25)= sqrt(75)= 5sqrt(3). So bh/2= (10)(5sqrt(3))/2= 25sqrt(3). (The area of each right triangle is 25sqrt(3)/2. That may be what you calculated.)

Yep, you are correct. I calculated the wrong triangle. Trying to do the work too fast!
HallsofIvy said:
Again, I can't read the problem.

HallsofIvy said:
Can't see the problem!

I wish I could paste the similar triangle drawings here, but I don't know how!

HallsofIvy said:
That "62.8" is misleading (I can't help but wonder if intentionally!) It is exactly 20 times 3.14 so it seems perfectly reasonable to use that for pi, doesn't it? But if you use the more accurate 3.141592, the diameter is 62.8/3.141592= 19.98987 so the radius is 9.99493 m and the area is (3.141592)(9.33493)= 31.4 square meters.

I agree. They should have told you what value of pi to use. I am used to expressing answers in just terms of pi, so the whole problem is not really that valuable.

Last edited:
mileena said:
Haha. Funny.

Ok, I just read the question too quickly. If I had read more closely, I would have also divided by 5. Ugh. My bad.

Ugh. You're right. I just did the area of the smaller 30-60-90 triangle which is part of the equilateral triangle. I tried doing the test too fast!

But the triangles they give may not be to scale. The shorter leg might actually be longer than what appears to be the longer leg.

Ok, I wish I knew how to do those mathematical symbols on a post like you!

This is what I did:

2(pi)(r) = 62.8
r = 31.4/pi

A = (pi)(31.4/pi)squared =
(pi)(31.4/pi)(31.4/pi) =
[(31.4)(31.4)]pi =
985.96/pi =
985.96/3.14 =

Did I do something wrong? Isn't 3.14 a good enough approximation of pi?

Whether or not 3.14 is an adequate approximation to π (symbol found on the "quick symbols panel at the top or side of the input panel!) depends on how much accuracy you want in the final result. Do the people who are marking this work regard 314.0 as a good-enough approximation to 313.84≈3i3.8? When in doubt, just keep some more significant figures---if you are using a calculator it won't kill you to increase the accuracy.

Note: in some problems (not this one), rounding off too soon can be disastrous, especially if/when the final answer involves subtraction two moderate-to-large nearly-equal terms to get the final answer. Premature rounding can produce order-of-magnitude errors in such cases, and can even give answers having the wrong sign, etc.

1. What mistake did the Math Department make?

The specific mistake made by the Math Department will depend on the context and situation. It could be a miscalculation, an error in a formula, or a misunderstanding of a concept.

2. How do we know if the Math Department got it wrong?

If there is reason to believe that the Math Department made a mistake, it is important to carefully review and analyze the data, calculations, and methods used. Consulting with other experts in the field can also help determine if there was an error.

3. What are the potential consequences of the Math Department getting it wrong?

The consequences of a mistake made by the Math Department can vary depending on the situation. It could result in incorrect findings, wasted time and resources, or even harm to individuals or the public if the mistake affects important decisions or policies.

4. Can't we just trust that the Math Department did their calculations correctly?

While it is important to trust and respect the expertise of the Math Department, it is also important to remember that everyone is capable of making mistakes. It is always a good practice to carefully review and double-check important calculations and data.

5. How can we prevent mistakes from happening in the Math Department in the future?

To prevent mistakes from happening in the future, the Math Department can implement rigorous quality control processes, have multiple experts review important calculations and data, and continuously update and improve their methods and techniques. Additionally, open communication and transparency within the department can help catch and correct errors promptly.