Understanding Dielectric Polarisation: Transformation of Dipoles and Charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of a dielectric between two capacitors and the resulting changes in the distribution of dipoles, charges, and electric field. The concept of dipole polarization is explained, along with the role of the dielectric in increasing capacitance and allowing for higher operating voltage. The electric susceptibility of a dielectric is defined as a measure of how easily it polarizes in response to an electric field, with a higher susceptibility making it easier to achieve polarization with a lower field. The formula for susceptibility is also mentioned.
gracy said:
How can I apply the above mentioned function of permittivity to the surrounding?
There will be field lines from +ve charge density towards -ve charge density "through" the surrounding. It is similar to what happens inside a capacitor.

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean some charges must be there to produce that "applied electric field".And then permittivity of surrounding will come into picture.The fields shown in the video have gone through all of these.

gracy said:
You mean some charges must be there to produce that "applied electric field".And then permittivity of surrounding will come into picture.The fields shown in the video have gone through all of these.
Yes. The charge densities act as a dipole. So, there will be field lines in the surroundings, joining the two charge densities.

Likes gracy
cnh1995 said:
permittivity tells you how "strong"(may not be the correct word) a dielectric is w.r.t vacuum( free space)
But it is permittivity of free space that tells us how "strong"(may not be the correct word) a dielectric is w.r.t vacuum( free space) if we look at permittivity of other materials how it differs from their susceptibility?

Both of them tell something about how "strong" is the dielectric but this is just a "metaphoric" way to describe them. You spend way too much time with matter of little relevance and questions expressed in somehow confusing terms.
The equations tells it all without any room for misinterpretation: susceptibility is used to write the relationship between external field and polarization whereas relative permitivity (or dielectric strength or dielectric constant) for the relationship between the external field and the net field in the dielectric. They both depend on the same property of teh material: the ability to "produce" electric dipoles in the presence of a field. None of them has more (or less) meaning than the other. If you know one you can get the other.

The vacuum permitivity you can leave out of this. It is more like a matter of units and not really o property of a "material" in the same sense as the dielectric constant.

Likes Dale and cnh1995
gracy said:
But it is permittivity of free space that tells us how
No. I said it is the permittivity of the material, not free space.

cnh1995 said:
permittivity gives the relation between net field and the original field
You meant relative permittivity?

gracy said:
You meant relative permittivity?
I meant actual permittivity(ε) of the material(εoεr).

But it's relative permittivity which is also called dsielectric constant that's gives the relation between net field and the original field
##K##=##\frac{E_O}{E}##

gracy said:
But it's relative permittivity which is also called dsielectric constant that's gives the relation between net field and the original field
##K##=##\frac{E_O}{E}##
Right.

That's what I asked in post #42

gracy said:
That's what I asked in post #42
Yeah right. I meant the concept of permittivity (relative permittivity is a part of that) compared to the concept of susceptibility.