1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diesel engine prob

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    how would you find the correct formula for the temp at state 3 and 4. i found it for 1 and 2

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2
    Hello Waterboy.

First, I would ask that when you have a question try to be specific and do not abbreviate the words, because many members here are from different countries and areas.

For an air standard cycle, whose fuel is Diesel:

To calculate the temperature in the cycle expansion (3), it will be the point of greatest pressure and higher temperature, use the formula:

T3 = T2 + (Q1 / (m * cp);

where:

Q1 = heat input
    T2 = temperature cycle 2
    m = mass
    cp = specific heat of gas at constant pressure

To obtain the temperature in the cycle of the removal of heat (4) you must have the values of compression ratio in cycles 3 (V3) and 4 (V4) and the adiabatic constant of air (k), and the temperature in the expansion cycle (3).

T4 = T3 * (V3/V4) ^ (k-1);

where:

T3 = temperature in cycle 3
    V3 = volume in the cycle 3
    V4 = volume in the cycle 4
    k = constant adiabatic air

If you have any questions about the theory of everything, or to obtain Q1 or mass simply send an email. I am new in this form too and do not know to use mathematical symbols, if someone can explain me please tell me.

I hope this can help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook