1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diesel Engines - Power question

1. Jan 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please can someone help me with this....
    I have a question on a four stroke diesel engine. I have been given the stroke length of 500mm and the bore size of 300mm. The compression ratio as 18/1 and the speed of revolution of 600rpm. Also the ambient air conditions are assumed to be 20C at 1 bar. Max cylinder pressure = 100 bar and exhaust gas temperature = 480C

It asks to calculate the power developed per cylinder using the air conditions at the start of the cycle?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Now i have answerd the previous question which was to calculate the thermal efficiency of the cylce. So as this is a Dual Cycle i have drawn it and calculated all the temperature points and worked out the efficiency which was 67%. Correct

It says calculate the power from the initial air conditions but i have tried to do this by using Power = Work done x cycles per second

I have worked out the Work done as Qin - Qout and multiplied this by 5 cycles per second (as 600 rpm is 10 rps and there are 2 revolutions in one cycle as it is 4 stroke).

i am not getting the correct answer which is supposed to be 153KW.

Why??

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?