Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diesel, Otto and Dual Cycles

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    I want to compare the Ideal Diesel, Otto and Dual cycles with constant specific heats. I am interested in knowing the relationship between r (compression) and nth (efficiency). I am unable to determine the common inputs to all three which can give me the efficiency for all the cycles. r with temperature and pressure is an obvious choice. But I also need cut off ratio to calculate diesel and dual cycle's efficiency and it is not there in otto cycle. And I need pressure ratio for otto's efficiency which is not there in the other two cycles. I was wondering if taking a common Qin (heat input) would do ?

Any suggestions please.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2
    For a simple cold air analysis, you can consult just about any basic thermodynamics text or possibly even wikipedia. For a cold air analysis the efficiency of a otto cycle is a function of the k value of the gas and the compression radio. For a diesel or dual cycle you will need the cut out or cut in ratios. You shouldn't need any Qin for an efficiency calculation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?