Diff. eq determening IVT interval

• Thread starter dlevanchuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary, the initial value problem has a unique solution on the interval from 0 to positive infinity, as setting t=0 would result in a negative value for y', which violates the initial condition.
dlevanchuk

Homework Statement

Consider the initial value problem

t*y' + 2y = e^(2t) ; y(1) = 0:

Determine the largest interval on which it is guaranteed to have a unique solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need somebody to tell me if i have a logic on this one :-S

I understand that t cannon equal zero. But also, the interval, that there is a unique solution, would be from 0 to positive infinity, because the initial condition sets y' to be positive..
If the interval would be going from negative infinity to 0, then y' would be negative, which violates the initial condition...

Am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get y'>0 from y(1)=0?

vela said:
How did you get y'>0 from y(1)=0?

i divided both sides by t and got

y' + (2/t)*y = e^(2t)/t

then i plugged in 1 for t and 0 for y.

As a result I got y' = e^2

OK, so you meant y'(1)>0, not y'(t)>0. It's still not clear to me how you went from that to concluding that t>0. Why are you associating y'>0 with t>0 and y'<0 with t<0?

That's really beside the point, however. You don't need to look at the derivative. You just have to look at the initial condition itself. It's specified for t=1, so...

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a function or system changes over time. It involves the use of derivatives and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and predict the behavior of systems.

2. What is the role of IVT in differential equations?

IVT, or the Intermediate Value Theorem, is a fundamental concept in differential equations that guarantees the existence of at least one solution to a differential equation within a given interval. It helps us determine the behavior of a function or system within a specific range of values.

3. How do you determine the IVT interval for a differential equation?

The IVT interval for a differential equation can be determined by setting the initial conditions and solving for the constants in the equation. This involves finding the appropriate range of values for the independent variable (usually time) that will result in a unique solution for the dependent variable.

4. Why is it important to determine the IVT interval in differential equations?

Determining the IVT interval in differential equations is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of a system over a specific range of values. It also helps us to identify any potential issues or limitations in the solution of the differential equation.

5. Can the IVT interval change for different types of differential equations?

Yes, the IVT interval can vary depending on the type of differential equation being solved. Different types of differential equations have different behaviors and characteristics, so the IVT interval may need to be determined differently for each type.