Diff eq, need a simple step explained

• Thread starter frozenguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the given step involves expanding and simplifying expressions, leading to the substitution of y=ux in a few steps back. It is a part of solving a homogeneous DE using the method of substitutions.
frozenguy
So its not a problem, but a step in an example that I need explained. The section is solutions by substitutions and its an example of solving a homogeneous DE.

Step goes from:
[tex]\left(x^{2}+u^{2}x^{2}\right)dx+\left(x^{2} - ux^{2}\right)\left[udx + xdu\right]=0[/tex]

to:
[tex]x^{2}\left(1 + u\right)dx + x^{3}\left(1-u\right)du=0[/tex]

It had previously set y=ux, a few steps back.

Physics news on Phys.org
frozenguy said:
So its not a problem, but a step in an example that I need explained. The section is solutions by substitutions and its an example of solving a homogeneous DE.

Step goes from:
[tex]\left(x^{2}+u^{2}x^{2}\right)dx+\left(x^{2} - ux^{2}\right)\left[udx + xdu\right]=0[/tex]
Just expand the expressions above, and simplify.
[tex](x^2 + u^2x^2 + x^2u - u^2x^2)dx + (x^3 - ux^3)du = 0[/tex]
frozenguy said:
to:
[tex]x^{2}\left(1 + u\right)dx + x^{3}\left(1-u\right)du=0[/tex]

It had previously set y=ux, a few steps back.

Thank you... I don't know why I didn't see this before.. Ok I feel stupid. :/

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model a wide range of natural phenomena in fields such as physics, biology, and economics.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves a single independent variable and its derivatives, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables and their derivatives. ODEs are used to model systems that can be described with a single variable, while PDEs are used for systems that involve multiple variables.

3. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method used to solve a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common methods include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and integrating factors. It is important to understand the properties and characteristics of the differential equation before attempting to solve it.

4. What is the role of initial conditions in solving a differential equation?

Initial conditions are values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in time or space. They are necessary for solving differential equations because they provide a starting point for the solution. Without initial conditions, the solution would have an infinite number of possibilities.

5. How are differential equations used in real life?

Differential equations are used to model and understand complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to predict the behavior of systems over time and make informed decisions based on the results. Some real-life applications of differential equations include population growth, heat transfer, and the spread of diseases.