What is the area through which the heat flows at r = 5.92 cm?

In summary: However, the equation for finding the temperature of the pipe metal at r=5.92 cm is correct, and the final answer should be 321.46 K.In summary, the given problem involves a pipe with a fluid of temperature 350 K and air of temperature 306 K. Heat flows from the fluid, through the pipe walls, and into the room at a constant rate. Using the heat equation, the temperature of the pipe metal at r=5.92 cm can be determined by setting up an equation with the given initial conditions and solving for the constant Q'/k. The final answer should be 321.46 K.
dinospamoni

Homework Statement

The fluid inside the pipe shown has a temperature of
350 K, but the temperature of the air in the room is only 306 K.
Therefore, heat flows at a constant rate from the fluid, through
the pipe walls, and into the room. The inner pipe radius is 4
cm, and the outer radius is 8 cm. The heat equation is:

dQ/dt = kA(dT/dx)

where x is the direction of heat flow, A is the area through
which the heat flows (i.e., perpendicular to x), and k is the
conductivity of the material through which the heat is flowing.
Determine the temperature of the pipe metal at r = 5.92 cm.

Homework Equations

T(r<4)=350
T(r>8) = 306

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this a bunch of times, but can't see to get it. I have done:

Q'=kA(dT/dr)
where Q' is a constant

A=pi*r^2

dT=Q'/(k*pi*r^2) *dr

T=(Q'/k*pi)(-1/r)+c1

I let Q'/k = c2

so

T=c1-c2/r*pi

After imposing the initial conditions:

350 = c1 - c2/4pi

306 = c1 - c2/8pi

from this
c1 = 262
c2= 1105.84

and got the temperature at r=5.92 to be 321.46 K, but this wasn't right.

Any ideas?

I think I went wrong with the initial conditions somewhere

Physics news on Phys.org
dinospamoni said:
A is the area through
which the heat flows (i.e., perpendicular to x),

A=pi*r^2

There's a mistake here, since the area through which the heat flows must depend on the length of the pipe.

1. What is the definition of a differential equation with heat flow?

A differential equation with heat flow is a mathematical equation that describes the change in temperature in a given system over time. It takes into account various factors such as the initial temperature, heat sources, and the rate of heat transfer.

2. How is a differential equation with heat flow solved?

There are several methods for solving a differential equation with heat flow, depending on the specific equation and boundary conditions. These methods include separation of variables, Laplace transforms, and Fourier transforms.

3. What are some real-world applications of differential equations with heat flow?

Differential equations with heat flow have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. They are used to model heat transfer in systems such as buildings, electronic devices, and chemical reactors.

4. What is the role of boundary conditions in solving a differential equation with heat flow?

Boundary conditions are necessary for solving a differential equation with heat flow as they provide the necessary information about the temperature at the boundaries of the system. These conditions can be either specified temperatures or heat fluxes at the boundaries.

5. How does the diffusion coefficient affect the solution of a differential equation with heat flow?

The diffusion coefficient is a measure of how easily heat can transfer through a material. It plays a crucial role in determining the rate of heat transfer and can significantly affect the solution of a differential equation with heat flow. A higher diffusion coefficient means faster heat transfer and a lower temperature gradient.