1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diff EQ

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    I took an ODE course last year, but I seem to have forgotten some stuff. I need to solve this equation:

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dt^2} + {\omega}^2u = f_osin({\mu}t)[/tex]

with the boundry conditions:

u(0) = 0, du/dt(0) = 0

When I tried to solve the homogenenous equation first, I got

I then differentiated and set up the system with the two boundy conditions...but I got c1+c2=0 and c1-c2=0...c1=c2=0.

This seems wrong. Any help would be appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think those might be called initial conditions, not boundary conditions, not that it matters. Anyways, you need to find a particular solution, add it to your ug, then find the ci by looking at the initial conditions.
  4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    Here is what I did now:

let the particular solution be of the form [tex]u_p=Asin({\mu}t})[/tex]

differentiated twices gives [tex]u_p''=-A{\mu}^2sin({\mu}t})[/tex]

so now from my origional diff eq I get

[tex]A = \frac{f_o}{{\omega}^2-{\mu}^2}[/tex]

and therefore

so now the general solution is

plugging in the initial conditions from the first post, I got

and therefore the entire solution to be

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  5. Sep 17, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you're missing a factor of [itex]i\omega[/itex] in the denominators of c1 and c2.
  6. Sep 18, 2006 #5
    You are right. Also, is it right to say that the solution exists as long as [tex]|\mu| {\neq} |\omega|[/tex] (assuming that they are both real)?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  7. Sep 18, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are going to use [itex]sin(\mu t)[/itex] as you particular solution, why not use [itex]sin(\omega t)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\omega t)[/itex] in the general solution?

Yes, the solution is what you have as long as [itex]|\mu|\ne|\omega|[/itex]. However, if you are thinking that when they are equal, a solution does not exist, that is not necessarily so. You just need to use a more complicated function as your specific solution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?