Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Diff EQ

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    I took an ODE course last year, but I seem to have forgotten some stuff. I need to solve this equation:

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dt^2} + {\omega}^2u = f_osin({\mu}t)[/tex]

with the boundry conditions:

u(0) = 0, du/dt(0) = 0

When I tried to solve the homogenenous equation first, I got

[tex]u_g(t)=c_1e^{i{\omega}t}+c_2e^{-i{\omega}t}[/tex]

I then differentiated and set up the system with the two boundy conditions...but I got c1+c2=0 and c1-c2=0...c1=c2=0.

This seems wrong. Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think those might be called initial conditions, not boundary conditions, not that it matters. Anyways, you need to find a particular solution, add it to your ug, then find the ci by looking at the initial conditions.

4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    Here is what I did now:

let the particular solution be of the form [tex]u_p=Asin({\mu}t})[/tex]

differentiated twices gives [tex]u_p''=-A{\mu}^2sin({\mu}t})[/tex]

so now from my origional diff eq I get

[tex]A({\omega}^2-{\mu}^2)sin({\mu}t)=f_osin({\mu}t)[/tex]

hence

[tex]A = \frac{f_o}{{\omega}^2-{\mu}^2}[/tex]

and therefore

[tex]u_p=\frac{f_o}{{\omega}^2-{\mu}^2}sin({\mu}t})[/tex]

so now the general solution is

[tex]u=c_1e^{i{\omega}t}+c_2e^{-i{\omega}t}+\frac{f_o}{{\omega}^2-{\mu}^2}sin({\mu}t})[/tex]

plugging in the initial conditions from the first post, I got

[tex]c_1=\frac{{\mu}f_o}{2({\mu}^2-{\omega}^2)}[/tex]

[tex]c_2=-\frac{{\mu}f_o}{2({\mu}^2-{\omega}^2)}[/tex]

and therefore the entire solution to be

[tex]u=\frac{{\mu}f_o}{2({\mu}^2-{\omega}^2)}e^{i{\omega}t}-\frac{{\mu}f_o}{2({\mu}^2-{\omega}^2)}e^{-i{\omega}t}+\frac{f_o}{{\omega}^2-{\mu}^2}sin({\mu}t})[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  5. Sep 17, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you're missing a factor of [itex]i\omega[/itex] in the denominators of c1 and c2.

6. Sep 18, 2006 #5
    You are right. Also, is it right to say that the solution exists as long as [tex]|\mu| {\neq} |\omega|[/tex] (assuming that they are both real)?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  7. Sep 18, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If you are going to use [itex]sin(\mu t)[/itex] as you particular solution, why not use [itex]sin(\omega t)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\omega t)[/itex] in the general solution?

Yes, the solution is what you have as long as [itex]|\mu|\ne|\omega|[/itex]. However, if you are thinking that when they are equal, a solution does not exist, that is not necessarily so. You just need to use a more complicated function as your specific solution.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook