Diff Equation with two populations

• Thread starter Colts
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with a constant k and an unknown constant M. The equation can be divided into two parts and integrated to get a general solution. The solution for t between 0 and 1 involves finding the constant solution P1=C and adding it to the exponential solution. Another approach is to solve the differential equation using separation of variables and using initial conditions to find the constant.
Colts

Homework Statement

s30ai0.png

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do the first population problem at t=0 so M(t) would be 100, but there is the k constant that I don't know and don't know how to find it. Is there a way to find k or do you even need too?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have dP1/dt= kP1+ M1. That is a linear equation so we can divide it into two parts. dP1/dt= kP1 can be itegrated by rewriting it as dP1/P1= k dt and integrating both sides. You should find that P is an exponential function of t.

Then consider dP1/dt= kP1- 100 for t between 0 and 1. Looking for a constant soluton, P1= C, the derivative is 0 so we must have 0= kC- 100 of C= 100/k. Adding that to the exponential gives the general solution for 0< t< 1. To find the solution for t between 1 and 2, evaluate the first solution at t= 1 to get a condition so you can solve the same equation using that condition.

Yes, your solutions will be functions of k, not specific numbers.

I got the exponential equation to be e^(kt)e^c

Now you said to add the C to the exponential. I'm assuming the C your talking about is not the same as the arbitrary constant that I get from integration. So do you want me to literally add it on or what?

Colts said:
I got the exponential equation to be e^(kt)e^c

Now you said to add the C to the exponential. I'm assuming the C your talking about is not the same as the arbitrary constant that I get from integration. So do you want me to literally add it on or what?

If you don't follow Hall's argument just take the straightforward approach and solve the differential equation on 0<=t<=1 using separation of variables. Use the initial condition P(0)=1000 to find the constant and figure out what P(1) is. Use that for an initial condition on 1<=t<=2.

Halls showed how to solve dP/dt= kP but you need to solve dP/dt = kP + M. Since the equation is linear, you can get the general solution you want by adding the solution you found to the homogeneous equation to any solution of the complete, inhomogeneous one. In this case, it's easy to see that one solution is P constant. Halls calls this constant C. So you write dP/dt = 0 and get C = -M/k. (Halls had M1 as an emigration rate of 100, so had the wrong sign.)
Putting this together, P = Aekt - M/k. Now you can plug in the initial conditions to find A.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. It involves the rates of change of the quantity and its variables.

How is a differential equation used in studying two populations?

A differential equation can be used to model the interactions between two populations, such as predator-prey relationships or competition for resources. This allows scientists to predict the behavior and dynamics of the two populations over time.

What are the basic components of a differential equation with two populations?

The basic components of a differential equation with two populations are the dependent variables, which represent the populations, and the independent variable, which represents time. The equation will also include constants and parameters that determine the behavior of the populations.

What are some common techniques for solving differential equations with two populations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations with two populations include separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods. These methods allow scientists to find the solutions to the equations and make predictions about the populations.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations with two populations?

Differential equations with two populations have many real-world applications, such as in ecology, epidemiology, and economics. They can be used to study the dynamics of animal populations, the spread of diseases, and the interactions between different species in an ecosystem.