Where am I going wrong with complex eigenvectors?

In summary, the person was having trouble solving a problem involving finding the eigenvectors of a complex number. They were confused because the textbook answers were not matching up with their own calculations. After finding the correct eigenvector, they realized that a different eigenvalue was also involved.
FrogPad
I'm having trouble with this problem. Actually I'm having trouble with all of this set of problems (when the eigenvectors are complex). I must not be finding these things correctly, because nothing is matching up with the book. Any help would be awesome.
[tex] \vec {x}\,' = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2 \\ -5 & -1 \end{array} \right) \vec x [/tex]

So...
[tex] \left| \begin{array}{cc} 1-\lambda & 2 \\ -5 & -1-\lambda \end{array} \right| = (1-\lambda)(-1-\lambda)+10=0=\lambda^2+9 [/tex]

[tex] \lambda = 3i[/tex]

So then:
[tex] \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1-3i & 2 \\ -5 & -1-3i \end{array} \right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}x1\\x2 \end{array}\right) =\vec 0 [/tex]

Which is the NULLSPACE of the [tex] \vec A - r\vec I [/tex] matrix.
Gaussian-Jordan reduction yields:
[tex] \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & \frac{1}{5}+\frac{3}{5}i \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

[tex] x1=-\left(\frac{1}{5}+\frac{3}{5}i\right)\alpha [/tex]
[tex] x2=\alpha [/tex]
[tex] \vec V = \left( \begin{array}{cc} \frac{-1}{5}-\frac{3}{5}i \\1 \end{array} \right) [/tex]
[tex] \vec V = \left( \begin{array}{cc} \frac{-1}{5} \\ 1 \end{array} \right) + i \left( \begin{array}{cc} \frac{-3}{5} \\ 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex]
So, I'm pretty sure I'm making the mistake in here. But where? Isn't everything I'm doing legit?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You never did say exactly what it was you were trying to do but, yes, that is an eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue 3i.

woops... I definitely could have been more specific. I basically just wanted confirmation that I was finding the eigenvectors correctly. I've taken linear algebra, and I remember just using an algorithmic approach when solving for the nullspace, but in differential equation they seem to be setting certain constants to 'certain' values, and my answers are just NOT matching up with the books... and I can't figure out in what way they are different. Like, their answers all seem to be flipped for complex roots. But, anyways... thanks for the confirmation. I'll just go with what I have then. :)

I don't know what you mean by "flipped". One possible source, not of error, but of confusion, is that there exist an infinite number of eigenvectors for any eigenvalue (the constitute a subspace, of course).

Yes,
[tex] \vec V = \left( \begin{array}{cc} \frac{-1}{5}-\frac{3}{5}i \\1 \end{array} \right) [/tex]
is an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 3i.
But since multiplying or dividing by a number still gives an eigenvector
[tex] \vec V = \left( \begin{array}{cc}1\\ \frac{-1}{2}+\frac{3}{2}i \end{array} \right) [/tex]
is also an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 3i. (I divided both components by [itex]-\frac{1}{5}-\frac{3}{5}i[/itex].)

Don't forget to find an eigenvalue corresponding to -3i!

Dude you seriously rock. Thank you. You cleared it up.
hehe... sorry about saying "flipped" (I know how technical that sounds). You did correctly reason out the problem I was having though.
I was not thinking in terms of the factor itself being a complex number. Instead I was assuming that the factor had to be a real. So I was like how the hell are they changing:
into
[tex] \vec V = \left( \begin{array}{cc}1\\ \frac{-1}{2}+\frac{3}{2}i \end{array} \right) [/tex]
But of course. The factor is a complex number. So that's how they flip it :smile:.oh, and yeah... I got the other eigenvalue. I figured it wasn't necessary to explain my problem.

Last edited:

1. What are complex eigenvectors?

Complex eigenvectors are a type of eigenvector that has complex-valued elements. In other words, they are vectors with both real and imaginary components.

2. What is the significance of complex eigenvectors in differential equations?

Complex eigenvectors play a crucial role in solving linear differential equations with complex-valued solutions. They allow us to find the general solution of a system of differential equations by using a combination of real and complex eigenvectors.

3. How do we find complex eigenvectors?

To find complex eigenvectors, we first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix associated with the differential equation. Then, we use the eigenvalues to find the eigenvectors by solving the characteristic equation. The resulting eigenvectors will have complex components.

4. Can we have repeated complex eigenvectors?

Yes, it is possible to have repeated complex eigenvectors. This occurs when the characteristic equation has repeated roots. In this case, the corresponding eigenvectors will also be repeated, but they will have different multipliers.

5. How are complex eigenvectors used to solve differential equations?

Complex eigenvectors are used to find the general solution of a system of differential equations with complex-valued solutions. They help us to write the solution as a linear combination of real and complex parts, which can then be simplified and solved using standard techniques.