How long does it take for the cone to drain completely?

• Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date
In summary: The speed at which the cone is emptying is given by -2\sqrt{y} as stated by Torricelli's law. The rate of change of y is given by the expression -2\sqrt{y}\cdot\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2(y). To find the time it takes for all the water to drain from the tank, you need to set y=0 and solve for t, which gives you t = \frac{H}{2\sqrt{g}}. In summary, the problem involves a circular cone filled with water and a small hole at the vertex. Using Torricelli's law, the rate of change of the volume of water is expressed as dV/dt =
GreatEscapist

Homework Statement

A circular cone (height H = 2m, radius of the top R = 1m) with a vertical axis
and the vertex pointing down is fi lled with water. At t = 0 a small circular hole
is opened at the vertex. By Torricelli's law, the rate of change of the volume
V = V (t) of water in the cone is

(1) dV/dt= -2√y

where y = y(t) is the depth of water.
a) Express the volume of water V (t) in terms of the depth of water y(t). (Draw
a picture!)
b) Use equation (1) to fi nd an equation for the rate of change of y(t) and solve
this equation.
c) How long does it take for all water to drain from the tank?

Homework Equations

N/A?

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I tried putting it in terms of y. The only thing that I can think of is that V = Ay, so therefore dv/dt = (dA/dt)(dy/dt)...right? But I feel like that transformation does not truly help me that much. I am confused how to incorporate the m's in this, besides just A (is ther a way I can make dA/dt in terms of m?)

Thanks for hints

Physics news on Phys.org
Technically I know that A= .5(m2)∏...but I can't write that like I can dA/dt

I can write V in terms of m -> V=∏m3,and get an equation for dV/dm...does this help?

Last edited:
You should write the expression of the volume of the cone as [itex]\frac{1}{3}y\pi r^2(y)[/itex], where [itex]r(y)=\frac{y}{2}[/itex], according to the data they give you.

1. What is a differential equation (DiffEQ) and why is it important in modelling/solving Q?

A differential equation is an equation that involves one or more derivatives of a function. It is important in modelling and solving Q because many natural phenomena can be described using differential equations, and they provide a way to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.

2. What are the different types of differential equations and how are they classified?

The three main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. They are classified based on the number of independent variables, the highest order of derivative present, and whether the equation is deterministic or stochastic.

3. What is the process for solving a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation involves identifying the type of differential equation, finding a general solution using integration and other mathematical techniques, and then applying initial or boundary conditions to find a particular solution.

4. What is numerical solution and when is it used for solving differential equations?

Numerical solution is a method of solving differential equations using numerical algorithms instead of analytical techniques. It is often used when a differential equation cannot be solved analytically or when the equation is too complex to solve by hand.

5. How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, biology, economics, and finance. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.