Combining Summing and Difference Op Amps: Troubleshooting v_+

In summary: Vi+ divided by the resistance. This would give you the current going through the resistors and then you can use that current to find the voltage at Vi-.In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a combination of a summing and difference op amp. The individual is struggling with solving for v_+ and is asking for guidance. The conversation also covers the ideal characteristics of an op amp and how they can make the problem easier to solve. The individual provides their working and asks for confirmation on its correctness. They also discuss the currents and resistances in the circuit and how to calculate them.
mugzieee
hey guys, i have a HW problem of a combination of a summing and difference op amp. I got the first few steps of the problem, but i don't know how to continue from where i am. I am having a hard time solving for v_+. any help is greatly appreciatd, maybe if you guys can not solve the problem for me, bt direct me towards the right path. thanks in advance. i have attached a scanned image of my work.

Attachments

• problem2HW1.pdf
    294.4 KB · Views: 291
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a little trouble undstanding the circuit diagram. What are the "1" and "Z"? Are they meant to represent static quantities? Or is Z a varying input? Or is Z really a 2, like in 2.0V?

As for solving for V+ and V- and Vout, just write the sum of all currents into the + node is zero and do the same for the - node. Since the opamp is ideal, what simplification does that let you make?

berkeman said:
I'm having a little trouble undstanding the circuit diagram. What are the "1" and "Z"? Are they meant to represent static quantities? Or is Z a varying input? Or is Z really a 2, like in 2.0V?

As for solving for V+ and V- and Vout, just write the sum of all currents into the + node is zero and do the same for the - node. Since the opamp is ideal, what simplification does that let you make?

the "1",".25",".75",".67", and "2" are all voltages. are you saying that i should right nodal equations for the inputs? i didnt quite understand what you meant...

mugzieee said:
the "1",".25",".75",".67", and "2" are all voltages. are you saying that i should right nodal equations for the inputs? i didnt quite understand what you meant...
Yeah, heck if they're static voltages, then you can solve for Vo directly. Just write the two equations for the V- and V+ inputs and solve for Vo. You didn't answer my quiz question yet about what properties does an ideal opamp have that makes this problem easier...

BTW, in order to avoid confusion, in engineering it is a convention to write those numbers like this:

1.0, 0.25, 0.75, 0.67, 2.0

That helps to identify them as numbers, rather than variables or other things. Also, the preceedinig 0 on the numbers less than 1.0 helps to be sure that people don't miss the decimal point. Especially when writing fast on paper, using this convention will help make your work clearer (to you and to others reading/correcting the work).

berkeman said:
Yeah, heck if they're static voltages, then you can solve for Vo directly. Just write the two equations for the V- and V+ inputs and solve for Vo. You didn't answer my quiz question yet about what properties does an ideal opamp have that makes this problem easier...

IDEAL CHARACTERISTICS:
A_ol=inf
R_i=inf
R_o=0
i_+=0
i_-=0
v_in=v_+ - v_-
v_out=A_ol(v_+ - v_-)
v_+=v_-

but i don't see how any of them would make this problem easier

I was referring to the first two that you listed. Very high gain, and zero input current. That let's you assume that Vin+ = Vin-, and just write the voltage divider equation for the + input. Set the - input voltage to the same, and write the voltage divider equation for the - input, including the Vo term. Then just solve for Vo.

berkeman said:
I was referring to the first two that you listed. Very high gain, and zero input current. That let's you assume that Vin+ = Vin-, and just write the voltage divider equation for the + input. Set the - input voltage to the same, and write the voltage divider equation for the - input, including the Vo term. Then just solve for Vo.

ok so from what i understand from what you said, here is what i have done:
.067/2000 + 2/4000 + -2/4000 + ((2-v_o)/50000) = 1/2000 + 0.25/3000 + 0.75/5000

then i solve for v_o?
does that look correct?

mugzieee said:
ok so from what i understand from what you said, here is what i have done:
.067/2000 + 2/4000 + -2/4000 + ((2-v_o)/50000) = 1/2000 + 0.25/3000 + 0.75/5000

then i solve for v_o?
does that look correct?
No, or at least I'm not tracking what you are writing.

Start with figuring out the voltage at the Vi+ terminal of the opamp. You should write the sum of the three curents into the Vi+ terminal (in terms like (1.0V - Vi+)/2000, and set that sum equal to zero. Then solve for Vi+. Then set Vi- = Vi+, and write the sum of the four currents into the Vi- node and set that sum to zero. That sum will have one term that looks like (Vo - Vi-)/50000, plus three other terms. The only unknown is Vo, so just solve for it then.

EDIT -- Fixed a typo.

berkeman said:
No, or at least I'm not tracking what you are writing.

Start with figuring out the voltage at the Vi+ terminal of the opamp. You should write the sum of the three curents into the Vi+ terminal (in terms like (1.0V - Vi+)/2000, and set that sum equal to zero. Then solve for Vi+. Then set Vi- = Vi+, and write the sum of the four currents into the Vi- node and set that sum to zero. That sum will have one term that looks like (Vo - Vi-)/50000, plus three other terms. The only unknown is Vo, so just solve for it then.

EDIT -- Fixed a typo.

heres another shot:
((1-v_i+)/2000) + ((.25-v_i+)/(3000)) + ((.75-v_i+)/5000)) = 0
v_i+=.7097

v_o-=v_i+

((v_o- - .7097)/(50000)) + ((1-.7097)/(2000)) + ((2-.7097)/(4000)) + ((0-.7097)/(4000))=0
v_o-=-13.81

what confuses me is that why can't the current i_1= 1/2k, i_2=.25/3k, i_3=.75/5k for the currents entering v_i+?

also would the current into the node with the two 4k resistors be 2/4k + 0-v_i-/4k?

mugzieee said:
what confuses me is that why can't the current i_1= 1/2k, i_2=.25/3k, i_3=.75/5k for the currents entering v_i+?

also would the current into the node with the two 4k resistors be 2/4k + 0-v_i-/4k?
Vi+ is not ground, so to find the current through the resistor, you need to take the voltage *difference* across the resistor and divide it by the resistance.

And on your second question, you need to sum all the currents into the node, not just two.

mugzieee said:
heres another shot:
((1-v_i+)/2000) + ((.25-v_i+)/(3000)) + ((.75-v_i+)/5000)) = 0
v_i+=.7097

v_o-=v_i+

((v_o- - .7097)/(50000)) + ((1-.7097)/(2000)) + ((2-.7097)/(4000)) + ((0-.7097)/(4000))=0
v_o-=-13.81

This looks good to me. I didn't check the math in the final step, but the equation is set up correctly.

so even though this is a part summer, part difference amplifier, the method we used will apply? anyway, thanks a lot for your help berkeman, this problem was giving me nightmares last night..

1. What is an OP AMP (Operational Amplifier)?

An OP AMP is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It has a high gain and is often used in signal processing and analog circuits.

2. What is the difference between a difference OP AMP and a summing OP AMP?

A difference OP AMP amplifies the difference between two input voltages, while a summing OP AMP combines two or more input voltages to create an output voltage that is the sum of all the inputs.

3. How does a difference OP AMP work?

A difference OP AMP has two inputs, an inverting input (-) and a non-inverting input (+). The output voltage is equal to the difference between the two input voltages multiplied by the gain of the OP AMP. The inverting input is used to amplify the difference between the two input voltages, while the non-inverting input is used to set the reference voltage.

4. How does a summing OP AMP work?

A summing OP AMP has two or more inputs, each with its own resistor connected to the inverting input. The output voltage is equal to the sum of all the input voltages multiplied by their respective resistor values. The inverting input acts as a virtual ground, ensuring that the current through each resistor is equal to the current flowing through the feedback resistor, resulting in the summing function.

5. What are some common applications of difference and summing OP AMPs?

Difference OP AMPs are commonly used in instrumentation amplifiers, audio amplifiers, and signal processing circuits. Summing OP AMPs are often used in audio mixers, voltage regulators, and analog-to-digital converters.