Difference between Astrophysics and Astronomy ?

In summary: But if you plan on studying astrophysics in the future, I think a BS in physics is the better way to go.
sEsposito
I'm transferring schools for the fall of 2010, and one of the schools that I'm looking into offers a B.S. in Physics and a separate B.S. in Astronomy. The other school I'm looking into offers only a B.S. in Physics, though they say I can take elective courses in Astronomy. Basically, I want to study Astrophysics, but I'm confused by which school I should go to.. Should I go for the B.S. in Astronomy (and if I do, is it feasible for someone with a B.S. in Astronomy to do graduate work in astrophysics?) or should I stick with the B.S. in Physics? I was always under the impression that at the university, Astrophysics and Astronomy are one in the same, am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
In some contexts Astronomy can be used to mean "observation" and Astrophysics can be used to mean "theory". In other contexts they are used interchangeably. This is (in all probability) the case at this university. If you want to study Astrophysics, a BS in Astronomy is the best way to go.

Edit: It is probably a good idea, though, to go to this university's website, and see what this degree entails.

Last edited:
The labels really don't matter very much. Different schools structure things in different ways, and it's more a matter of politics than of substance.

nicksauce said:
In some contexts Astronomy can be used to mean "observation" and Astrophysics can be used to mean "theory". In other contexts they are used interchangeably. This is (in all probability) the case at this university. If you want to study Astrophysics, a BS in Astronomy is the best way to go.

Edit: It is probably a good idea, though, to go to this university's website, and see what this degree entails.

I've been to both websites and the B.S. in Astronomy seems to entail course work in classical mechanics, waves and optics, UNIX/Linux programming, a class called "The Physical Universe", Stars and Radiation, Galaxies, 2 courses in Cosmology and 3 AST electives.

The Physics program at the same school (for comparision): Classical mechanics, E&M, UNIX/Linux programming, a bunch of courses in quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, waves and optics and a bunch of physics lab electives.

So, based on that information, is it safe to say that you still endorse the Astronomy major if I plan on studying astrophysics in the future?

If you want to go to grad school in astrophysics, chances are good an astronomy major alone will not require enough physics - you'll need to be ready to take a few grad level physics courses. How about double majoring? Or if that's not an option, I'd say go with the physics major and take astronomy electives.

eri said:
If you want to go to grad school in astrophysics, chances are good an astronomy major alone will not require enough physics - you'll need to be ready to take a few grad level physics courses. How about double majoring? Or if that's not an option, I'd say go with the physics major and take astronomy electives.

I had this concern myself, so I asked an advisor for the school and she said that the astronomy major was designed to comply with physics departments and that I'd have no trouble transitioning to grad school. So that eased my mind a bit. Thanks a lot.

I think that the two terms are used interchangeably. Except one of them is mainly used for observation while the other is used for theory (like nicksauce mentioned).

sEsposito said:
I've been to both websites and the B.S. in Astronomy seems to entail course work in classical mechanics, waves and optics, UNIX/Linux programming, a class called "The Physical Universe", Stars and Radiation, Galaxies, 2 courses in Cosmology and 3 AST electives.

The Physics program at the same school (for comparision): Classical mechanics, E&M, UNIX/Linux programming, a bunch of courses in quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, waves and optics and a bunch of physics lab electives.

So, based on that information, is it safe to say that you still endorse the Astronomy major if I plan on studying astrophysics in the future?

Having taken an upper level class in astrophysics, it's not clear to me why you would not want to take E&M, quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics if you are interested in astrophysics. It seems to me it would be more important to get a firm foundation in physics. And of course you can take a few electives in astronomy.

sEsposito said:
I was always under the impression that at the university, Astrophysics and Astronomy are one in the same, am I wrong?

Judging by the courses you posted, this is incorrect. The astronomy degree doesn't seem like it gives you a full preparation in physics. Of course, I have no idea what they do for 3 semesters of undergrad cosmology. Maybe they get deep into general relativity for all I know (but I'm guessing not).

Having taken an upper level class in astrophysics, it's not clear to me why you would not want to take E&M, quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics if you are interested in astrophysics. It seems to me it would be more important to get a firm foundation in physics. And of course you can take a few electives in astronomy.

I agree. It seems that computer science (and programming in general) is more important than physics for most astronomy research these days.

1. What is the main difference between astrophysics and astronomy?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects and phenomena, while astronomy is a broader field that encompasses the observation and study of the entire universe.

2. Can you give an example of a specific topic that falls under astrophysics but not astronomy?

An example of a topic that falls under astrophysics but not astronomy is the study of dark matter and dark energy. These are theoretical concepts that cannot be observed directly, but their effects can be studied through astrophysical observations and simulations.

3. Is there a difference in the methods used in astrophysics and astronomy?

Yes, there is a difference in the methods used in astrophysics and astronomy. Astrophysics utilizes mathematical and theoretical models to explain and predict the behavior of celestial objects, while astronomy relies on observational data and measurements.

4. Are there any career paths that are specific to astrophysics or astronomy?

Both astrophysics and astronomy offer a wide range of career paths, such as research scientists, professors, data analysts, and instrument developers. However, some careers may be more specific to either astrophysics or astronomy, such as a cosmologist for astrophysics or a planetarium educator for astronomy.

5. Can one study astrophysics without prior knowledge or interest in astronomy?

While a basic understanding of astronomy is helpful for studying astrophysics, it is not a prerequisite. Astrophysics courses typically cover the necessary astronomical concepts and principles. However, a strong interest and curiosity in the universe is essential for success in the field of astrophysics.