Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between centroid and break away/in point

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1

Hi, I am studying control engineering and we are covering root locus concept right now. My knowledge of this concept is varied..I get some things and others I don't. One thing I don't understand is the difference between centroid and breakaway/in point. So for example for this function: 1/((s)(s+2)(s+3)), we have 3 poles at s=0,-2, -3. The website that has the example calculates the centroid at -1.67 (which I agree with). And the breakaway points are -2.5 and -.78.

-2.5 wont be counted because it isnt part of the root locus. However, whats the role of -.78?. In the picture above the author seems to put the square that represents the breakaway point in the same point as the centroid. I'm not sure why...which tells me that I do not have a good understanding of the role played by the centroid versus breakaway point. if someone can explain in layman terms the difference, i would appreciate it. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2014 #2
    dear u have calculated wrong value for break point. seconed break away point occurs between 0 and 2.
    and breakaway points are the point from where two branches meet and tend to either zero or infinity while centroide is just intersection point of asymptote.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook