Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between charge of electron and proton?

1. Mar 20, 2015 #1
    Hey guys,

I understand it would be logical for electron and proton to have the same charge but with opposite signs... Why then is there a smalll difference between their charges?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What difference?

4. Mar 20, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

That's news to me. Where did you read this?

5. Mar 20, 2015 #4
    I heard from a teacher at University, he said something like "let's suppose that the electron and the proton have exactly the opposite charge even though that's not exactly true". I didn't have the chance to ask him which was the difference and I didn't want to wait until Monday to know. I also heard something similar a few weeks ago but now i'm searching on the internet and my text books and i can't find any difference in the measures of charges... Maybe i just misundertood something.
    It seemed really weird to me cause i thought that "e" was the quantum of electric charge (without thinking of quarks), and if the proton had some similar but slightly different charge then that wouldn't be true.

If nobody has heard about this maybe I just misunderstood my teacher... I'll ask him to see if i can solve the misunderstanding.

Thank you for your time and sorry for my bad english.

6. Mar 20, 2015 #5
    Your English is fine.
    I think it would be best, as you suggested, to talk to the teacher to find out what was misunderstood.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook