Difference between charge of electron and proton?

In summary, the conversation discussed the difference between the charges of electrons and protons. One person mentioned that it would make sense for them to have the same charge but with opposite signs, but there is a small difference between their charges. They also mentioned hearing something similar from a teacher, but could not find any evidence of this difference. They plan to clarify with the teacher.
Keru
Hey guys,

I understand it would be logical for electron and proton to have the same charge but with opposite signs... Why then is there a smalll difference between their charges?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Keru said:
Why then is there a smalll difference between their charges?

What difference?

Keru said:
Why then is there a smalll difference between their charges?

That's news to me. Where did you read this?

I heard from a teacher at University, he said something like "let's suppose that the electron and the proton have exactly the opposite charge even though that's not exactly true". I didn't have the chance to ask him which was the difference and I didn't want to wait until Monday to know. I also heard something similar a few weeks ago but now I'm searching on the internet and my textbooks and i can't find any difference in the measures of charges... Maybe i just misundertood something.
It seemed really weird to me cause i thought that "e" was the quantum of electric charge (without thinking of quarks), and if the proton had some similar but slightly different charge then that wouldn't be true.

If nobody has heard about this maybe I just misunderstood my teacher... I'll ask him to see if i can solve the misunderstanding.

Thank you for your time and sorry for my bad english.

Your English is fine.
I think it would be best, as you suggested, to talk to the teacher to find out what was misunderstood.

1. What is the charge of an electron and a proton?

The charge of an electron is -1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs, while the charge of a proton is +1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs. This means that the electron has a negative charge, and the proton has a positive charge.

2. Why do electrons and protons have opposite charges?

Electrons and protons have opposite charges because they are made up of different particles. Electrons contain negatively charged particles called electrons, while protons contain positively charged particles called protons. These particles attract each other, resulting in the opposite charges of electrons and protons.

3. How do the charges of electrons and protons affect their behavior?

The opposite charges of electrons and protons play a crucial role in determining the behavior of atoms and molecules. The attraction between electrons and protons allows for the formation of chemical bonds, which are essential for the stability of matter. Additionally, the movement of electrons and protons creates electric fields, which can be harnessed for various purposes.

4. Can electrons and protons change their charges?

Electrons and protons have fixed charges and cannot change them. However, they can become neutral by gaining or losing electrons. When an electron is added to an atom, it becomes negatively charged, and when an electron is removed, it becomes positively charged. Protons, on the other hand, cannot gain or lose particles and will always have a positive charge.

5. What is the significance of the difference in charges between electrons and protons?

The difference in charges between electrons and protons is what gives rise to the fundamental forces of nature. The attraction between opposite charges plays a crucial role in the formation of atoms and molecules, while the repulsion between like charges is responsible for the stability of matter. Additionally, the difference in charges allows for the creation of electric and magnetic fields, which have a wide range of applications in technology and everyday life.