Difference between different kinds of motions of a rigid body

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between general plane motion and rotation about a fixed axis, specifically in relation to work and energy formulas. The question also asks for help in identifying the two types of motion and the location of the instantaneous center in a disk with planar motion. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to upload or describe a specific example for further clarification.
avleen
Hi
i want to know what the difference between general plane motion and rotation about fixed axis is?

im using their formulas for work and energy study and as far as i see their general equations are the same.

how do i identify which is which.

also in a disk with planar motion, is the instantaneous centre ALWAYS where the disk touches the ground?
please help!i have a specific example which is confusing me but it is an example in my book i don't know how to bring it up online so you guys can help me??
any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
avleen said:
i have a specific example which is confusing me but it is an example in my book i don't know how to bring it up online so you guys can help me??
any suggestions?
Maybe you can scan it and upload it. Or just describe it carefully.

Doc Al said:
Maybe you can scan it and upload it. Or just describe it carefully.
i will do that. but would you be able to explain the difference between the two motions?

What is the definition of motion of a rigid body?

Motion of a rigid body refers to the movement of a solid object without any change in its shape or size.

What are the different types of motion of a rigid body?

The different types of motion of a rigid body include linear motion, rotational motion, translational motion, vibrational motion, and oscillatory motion.

What is the difference between linear and rotational motion of a rigid body?

Linear motion refers to the movement of a rigid body in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to the movement of a rigid body around an axis.

Can a rigid body have multiple types of motion at the same time?

Yes, a rigid body can have multiple types of motion at the same time. For example, a spinning top exhibits both rotational and vibrational motion simultaneously.

What factors affect the different kinds of motion of a rigid body?

The different kinds of motion of a rigid body can be affected by factors such as external forces, moment of inertia, and the shape and size of the body.