Solution: Show ui=vi if u0=v0 in Difference Equations

• Thread starter simmonj7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary: When solving a difference equation all the way out you have to find the eigen values, then find the corresponding eigen vectors and then have to find a relationship between those eigen vectors and the vector x0. Thus x0 = a1u1 + a2u2 +...+ anun is the relationship between all the eigen vectors.So then xk = (A^k)x0 and you just distribute the A^k through and (because (A)x = (lambda)x then (A^k)x = (lambda^k)x where lambda is an eigen vector of A) you substitute that back into the equation and that is what all the a's and lambda's are.
simmonj7

Homework Statement

Suppose that {uk} and {vk} are sequences satisfying uk = Auk-1 k = 1, 2, ... and vk = Avk-1 k = 1, 2,... Show that if u0 = v0 then ui = vi for all values of i.

Homework Equations

uk --> is u subscript k
u0 --> is u subscript 0
uk-1 --> is u subscript k-1
ui --> is u subscript i

The Attempt at a Solution

Well so far I have...
uk = A^k(u0)
= A^k(a1u1 + a2u2 +...+anun)
= a1(A^k)u1 + a2(A^k)u2 +...+ an(A^k)un
= a1(lambda1^k)u1 + a2(lambda2^k) +...+ an(lambdan^k)un

But since u0 = v0 A^k(u0) = A^k(v0)

But after there I get uncertain cause I think my next steps would be:
= A^k(a1v1 + a2v2 +...+ anvn)
= a1(A^k)v1 + a2(A^k)v2 +...+ an(A^k)vn
= a1(lambda1^k)v1 + a2(lambda2^k)v2 +...+ an(lambdan^k)vn)

Then conclude uk = vk?
Is this correct?

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi simmonj7! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
simmonj7 said:
Well so far I have...
uk = A^k(u0)
= A^k(a1u1 + a2u2 +...+anun)
= a1(A^k)u1 + a2(A^k)u2 +...+ an(A^k)un
= a1(lambda1^k)u1 + a2(lambda2^k) +...+ an(lambdan^k)un

(what are the as and the lambdas? :confused: anyway …)

Hint: put wk = uk - vk, for all k. :wink:

When solving a difference equation all the way out you have to find the eigen values, then find the corresponding eigen vectors and then have to find a relationship between those eigen vectors and the vector x0. Thus x0 = a1u1 + a2u2 +...+ anun is the relationship between all the eigen vectors.

Then you just plug in that relationship for x0 into the equation xk = (A^k)x0. From there you distribute the A^k through and then (because (A)x = (lambda)x then (A^k)x = (lambda^k)x where lambda is an eigen vector of A) you substitute that back into the equation and that is what all the a's and lambda's are.

But there's only one eigenvalue here (and it's A). :confused:

Where are you getting that there is only one eigen value? There is no way to determine how many eigen values there are of A...

The eigenvalues of A don't matter …

all that matters is the roots of the characteristic equation of this recurrence relation which in this case is the single root, A.

Try using the wk I mentioned earlier. :smile:

1. What is the difference between a solution and a difference equation?

A solution is a set of values that satisfies a given equation, while a difference equation is a mathematical expression that describes a relationship between successive values in a sequence or function. In other words, a solution is the specific set of values that satisfies the difference equation.

2. How do you show that ui=vi in a difference equation?

To show that ui=vi in a difference equation, you must first substitute the values of u and v into the equation and then solve for the variables. If the resulting values for u and v are equal, then it can be concluded that ui=vi in the difference equation.

3. Can you provide an example of showing ui=vi in a difference equation?

Sure, let's take the difference equation ui+1 = ui + 2 with u0 = 1 and v0 = 1. Substituting these values into the equation, we get u1 = 1 + 2 = 3 and v1 = 1. Since u1 and v1 are equal, we can say that ui=vi in this difference equation.

4. Why is it important to show ui=vi in difference equations?

Showing ui=vi in difference equations is important because it confirms that the given values for u and v satisfy the equation. This is crucial in understanding the behavior and patterns of a sequence or function described by the difference equation.

5. Are there any other ways to show ui=vi in difference equations?

Yes, there are other methods such as using algebraic manipulation or graphical representation. For example, you can graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the same point, indicating that ui=vi. Additionally, you can also use mathematical induction to prove that ui=vi for all values of i in the sequence.