1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Differences between Computer engineering and Computer Science?

1. Nov 15, 2017 #41
    P.S. I also heard that master degree in CS is not very useful because it only teach new languages that are not very requested and that can also be learned by ourself, it is true?

2. Nov 15, 2017 #42

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If a mechanic told you he needed to grind your head gasket, my advice is to find a new mechanic. :oldsurprised:

As already said by another member, people generally don't get managerial jobs right out of college. If a person studied philosophy, and had a skill that the company needed, he or she might be hired by that company in some position. After a few years, that person might be promoted to a manager position.
    I don't think I put much faith when you tell us "I can assure you ..." From your other posts, I take it that you are still in high school or possibly just starting university, and have never held a full-time job. So I don't think you have the experience to tell us how things work in the corporate world.

Maybe true in Italy, but much less so in other countries. I worked in the software industry for 15 years. Having an advanced degree (either master's or PhD) in CS would be a plus in hiring.

3. Nov 15, 2017 #43

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Grands, One may guess that you are interested in Computer Science.

4. Nov 15, 2017 #44

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Grand, I believe you are interested in Computer Science.
    I knew someone who earned an undergraduate degree in Philosophy and also something like Masters degree in Mathematics and was a high school Mathematics teacher.

5. Nov 15, 2017 #45
    This is something good to hear.

Why?

6. Nov 15, 2017 #46

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Based on your preferences to @donpacino's post #27; namely driver software and high-level algorithms.

7. Nov 15, 2017 #47
    I said this because all argument I tried to learn on my own, how can I say if i like hardware if I never tried to work on?

8. Nov 15, 2017 #48

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Grand, I gave some quotes that I used for making my suggestion. I am trying to help.

9. Nov 16, 2017 #49
    I have another question.
    Is Computer Engineering orientated more on the industrial side then Computer Science?
    Are computer engineers involved more in the industrial manufacturing then computer scientists ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted