Differences Between Different Thermo Classes

In summary, the speaker is asking for a comparison of the content and problem-solving methods in various thermodynamics courses, including Mechanical Engineering Thermodynamics, Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, Thermodynamics of Materials, Thermal Physics, and the Thermodynamics portion of Physical Chemistry. They are also considering taking Mechanical Engineering Thermodynamics over the summer. The responder suggests checking with the university for course prerequisites and corequisites, and mentions that Physical Chemistry is generally easier and more fundamental, while Mechanical Engineering Thermo is more involved and may vary between schools.
megatyler30
Also sorry if you feel this is in the wrong place. I was unsure where to put it. I was wondering what the main differences in content/way problems are solved in Mechanical Engineering Thermodynamics, Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, Thermodynamics of Materials ( for MSE), Thermal Physics, and the Thermodynamics part of Physical Chemistry. I'm asking this partly due to curiosity and partly since I'm taking Physical Chemistry this upcoming semester and considering taking (Mechanical Engineering) Thermodynamics over the summer.Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully for answering.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've taken all the courses you mentioned (changed major many times trying to decide on a career). You need to check with your university on course prerequisites and corequisites. Generally Physical Chemistry only requires basic chemistry semesters (2 or 3 classes). Mechanical Engineering Thermo usually has many more. Physical Chemistry is more fundamental and much easier. ME Thermo is often a two semester class getting more involved with engines, refrigeration, combustion, and engineering applications. It can vary quite a bit from school to school though.

1. What are the different thermo classes?

The different thermo classes are Class A, Class B, Class F, Class H, and Class N. These classes are based on the maximum allowable temperature rise and insulation system for different types of electrical equipment.

2. What is the difference between Class A and Class B?

The main difference between Class A and Class B is the maximum allowable temperature rise. Class A has a maximum temperature rise of 105°C, while Class B has a maximum temperature rise of 130°C. This means that Class B electrical equipment can handle higher temperatures than Class A equipment.

3. How is Class F different from Class H?

Class F and Class H have different maximum temperature rise and insulation systems. Class F has a maximum temperature rise of 155°C and uses a Nomex insulation system, while Class H has a maximum temperature rise of 180°C and uses a silicone insulation system. This means that Class H equipment can handle higher temperatures than Class F equipment.

4. Are there any differences in the applications for each thermo class?

Yes, the applications for each thermo class may vary. For example, Class A and Class B are commonly used for household appliances, while Class F and Class H are often used in industrial applications such as motors and generators. Class N is typically used in high-temperature environments, such as nuclear power plants.

5. How do I know which thermo class is appropriate for my equipment?

You should consult with a qualified engineer or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to determine the appropriate thermo class for your equipment. Factors such as operating temperature, environment, and the type of insulation system used should be considered when selecting a thermo class for your equipment.