Differences in Density for TATP/DADP: Is the Dimer Form More Unstable?

• Thread starter zker666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experimentation with triacetone triperoxide (tatp) and their observation of the dimer form of the AP floating on top of water while the trimer sinks. The speaker suggests that the dimer may be more unstable than the trimer and considers separating and testing the two forms. However, the conversation is cut short due to the topic of explosives being prohibited.
zker666
I have recently been experimenting with triacetone triperoxide (tatp), and I have been storing it under water since that is the only way it is stable. However, I have noticed that most of the powder suspended in water is clearly denser than the water, and about a fifth of it is floating on top of the water. I am guessing that the process to make the tatp yields some of the dimer form of the AP, which is about 148.157g/mol, which is slightly less than 1g/cm3 which would explain it floating on the water, whereas the trimer of AP is about 222.24g/mol, which would make it denser than 1g/cm3, thus causing it to sink. I am curious about this because the dimer is way more unstable than the trimer, and could be worth skimming the dadp off of the top and storing it separately, and do some small scale testing and comparing the friction, heat, and shock sensitivity of each. Input would be greatly appreciated! :) -Zak

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1. We don't discuss explosives here.

2. I am not aware of any sure way of converting molar masses to densities, so I don't see where your numbers come from. But it is a moot in the light of the point 1.

Topic locked.

Related to Differences in Density for TATP/DADP: Is the Dimer Form More Unstable?

1. What is TATP/DADP density?

TATP/DADP density refers to the density of two different explosive compounds, triacetone triperoxide (TATP) and diacetone diperoxide (DADP), which are commonly used in homemade bombs.

2. How do TATP/DADP densities differ?

The densities of TATP and DADP are very similar, with TATP having a density of 1.13 g/cm3 and DADP having a density of 1.17 g/cm3. This means that there is only a small difference in density between the two compounds.

3. How are TATP/DADP densities measured?

TATP and DADP densities can be measured using a variety of methods, including density measurements using a density meter or by measuring the mass and volume of a given sample.

4. What factors can affect the densities of TATP and DADP?

The densities of TATP and DADP can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities in the sample. These factors can cause slight variations in density measurements.

5. Why is it important to measure TATP/DADP densities?

Measuring the densities of TATP and DADP can provide important information for forensic investigations and law enforcement. It can help determine the type and concentration of explosives used in a bomb, and can aid in identifying potential suspects. It can also assist in the development of safety protocols for handling and disposing of these dangerous compounds.