Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different type of solenoid design help

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    Hi my name is Juan Motta and i´m new in this forum, I`m a total begginer in physics. I´m planning to build a solenoid (air coil or iron coil, i don´t know) with different form, like this:

http://www.divshare.com/img/thumb/19310413-b22.jpg

And i have some cuestions about, because i have some formulas from this forum but they are applicable with a cylinder form, how can i estimate the gauss from this type of solenoid?

Thanks and sorry about my english

Juan Motta

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2012 #2
    What do you mean what "gauss", the magnetic flux density varies from place to place.
    If you are referring to the approximately constant field inside the solenoid, there is a well known formula for it.

4. Aug 8, 2012 #3
    Sorry... and "Yes" is the approximately constant field inside the solenoid, but i don´t know how can i estimate in this type of shape because is not a cylinder....

5. Aug 8, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As long as the coil length is much larger than the "width", the shape should not be important. Just use the formula for cylindrical coils. If the coil is not long compared to the width, you will need integrations to calculate it (probably numerically).

6. Aug 8, 2012 #5
    Yes, the coil is not long, is short, so integrations for the for calculate the radius?.... I think I'm very far to get to know that.....

7. Aug 8, 2012 #6
    Look into amperes law, the field can be quite difficult to find for current densities without good symmetry

8. Aug 9, 2012 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You cannot use Amperes law (no straight wire of infinite length), you need Biot-Savart to calculate the magnetic field.

9. Aug 9, 2012 #8
    thank you for all your answers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook