Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different universes with different laws

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    Is it accepted as theoretically possible that there could be an infinity of universes with totally unrelated (or possibly related) laws governing their processes?

I don't mean the different universes to have different initial (or practically initial) conditions but to have their own set of laws of nature entirely.

If so , is it possible that one of these laws might be that the fulcrum effect could be inversed -ie if you were to sit in a seesaw you would be more likely to rise off the ground the further you were positioned away from the centre rather ?

If such a law of nature could be envisaged what would be the knock on effect with respect to related laws?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis

http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.0646
    The Mathematical Universe
    Authors: Max Tegmark (MIT)
    (Submitted on 5 Apr 2007 (v1), last revised 8 Oct 2007 (this version, v2))
    Abstract: I explore physics implications of the External Reality Hypothesis (ERH) that there exists an external physical reality completely independent of us humans. I argue that with a sufficiently broad definition of mathematics, it implies the Mathematical Universe Hypothesis (MUH) that our physical world is an abstract mathematical structure. I discuss various implications of the ERH and MUH, ranging from standard physics topics like symmetries, irreducible representations, units, free parameters, randomness and initial conditions to broader issues like consciousness, parallel universes and Godel incompleteness. I hypothesize that only computable and decidable (in Godel's sense) structures exist, which alleviates the cosmological measure problem and help explain why our physical laws appear so simple. I also comment on the intimate relation between mathematical structures, computations, simulations and physical systems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook