Different universes with different laws

• Thread starter geordief
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of multiverse and the possibility of different laws governing these universes. The idea of the Mathematical Universe Hypothesis is also brought up, suggesting that our physical world is an abstract mathematical structure. The implications of this hypothesis are explored, including the relationship between mathematics and the physical world, and the possibility of only computable and decidable structures existing.
geordief
Is it accepted as theoretically possible that there could be an infinity of universes with totally unrelated (or possibly related) laws governing their processes?

I don't mean the different universes to have different initial (or practically initial) conditions but to have their own set of laws of nature entirely.

If so , is it possible that one of these laws might be that the fulcrum effect could be inversed -ie if you were to sit in a seesaw you would be more likely to rise off the ground the further you were positioned away from the centre rather ?

If such a law of nature could be envisaged what would be the knock on effect with respect to related laws?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis

http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.0646
The Mathematical Universe
Authors: Max Tegmark (MIT)
(Submitted on 5 Apr 2007 (v1), last revised 8 Oct 2007 (this version, v2))
Abstract: I explore physics implications of the External Reality Hypothesis (ERH) that there exists an external physical reality completely independent of us humans. I argue that with a sufficiently broad definition of mathematics, it implies the Mathematical Universe Hypothesis (MUH) that our physical world is an abstract mathematical structure. I discuss various implications of the ERH and MUH, ranging from standard physics topics like symmetries, irreducible representations, units, free parameters, randomness and initial conditions to broader issues like consciousness, parallel universes and Godel incompleteness. I hypothesize that only computable and decidable (in Godel's sense) structures exist, which alleviates the cosmological measure problem and help explain why our physical laws appear so simple. I also comment on the intimate relation between mathematical structures, computations, simulations and physical systems.

Related to Different universes with different laws

What is a different universe with different laws?

A different universe with different laws refers to the concept that there may be other universes besides our own that have different physical laws or properties. These universes may have different dimensions, constants, and forces that govern their existence.

What is the theory of parallel universes?

The theory of parallel universes, also known as the multiverse theory, suggests that there may be an infinite number of universes that coexist alongside our own. These universes may have different laws and may be similar or vastly different from our own.

How are different universes with different laws studied?

Currently, the concept of different universes with different laws is largely theoretical and is being explored through mathematical models and theoretical physics. Scientists also study the cosmic microwave background and search for evidence of other universes through experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider.

What are the implications of different universes with different laws?

If there are indeed other universes with different laws, it could have a profound impact on our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also have implications for the search for extraterrestrial life and the possibility of time travel.

Is there any evidence for different universes with different laws?

Currently, there is no conclusive evidence for the existence of different universes with different laws. Many scientists believe that it is a possibility based on theoretical models, but more research and evidence is needed to confirm their existence.