Different way of calculating power factor from multiple sources

In summary, you are an electrical engineering student and you are trying to find a faster/smarter way of calculating power factor for transformers. You are given all the RP(Real Powers) and power factors cos(ø) for each load, and you can sum them to get the power factor.
Jookoo
Hi,

I did a lot of googling and tried to search every forum I could, but I didn't quite found what I was looking for. Sorry if this has been asked before, english isn't my first language so there's a chance that I used wrong words to search for this question.

Also I'm not sure if you use the same type of symbols that we use in Finland for electrical engineering. I will try to explain them if I can =)

Okay to the problem in hand. I am an electrical engineering student, I have studied for 2 years. We had many instances that we had to calculate power factors (symbol that I used is "cos(phi)" and apparent powers (symbol that I used is "S") that the main transformer "sees" in the secondary side.

Here is a picture that I hope clarifies the problem:
http://postimg.org/image/jozu0g543/

Then the question, I have always calculated all the different active- ("P") and reactive ("Q") powers and taken the square of their sums power to get the apparent power ("S"). Equation S = sqrt((sum P)^2 + (sum Q)^2).

And from that I have calculated the power factor. Is there a faster/smarter way of doing this? The way I have been using isn't a problem if you are using under 10 outputs but after that it is quite laborious!

Thanks for your input, and sorry for the long "question", also for my English!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know that you can calculate the secondary apparent power from the transformer by
S = sqrt((AP(op1) + AP(op2) + AP(op3) + AP(op4))^2 + (RP(op1) + RP(op2) + RP(op3) + RP(op4)^2),
which is about 12,064 MVA. op = output, AP = active power and RP = reactive power.

And from that you can calculate the power factor
cos(phi) = (AP(op1) + AP(op2) + AP(op3) + AP(op4)) / S, which is about 0,9201

But is there a better way to do this?

Your English is quite good.

For the loads, you're given all the RP(Real Powers) and all the power factors cos(ø) ?

for each load, is its ø = cos-1(cos(ø)),
...where cos(ø) was given;
and is S = RP / cos(ø) ?
and is AP = S X sin(ø) ?

so you could sum the real powers and the reactive powers , as you said,
and ø = tan-1(∑reactive/∑real)),,,

I can remember how to do it with my slide rule and a piece of paper, so it shouldn't be difficult with a calculator.
power factor = cos(tan-1(∑reactive/∑real) which looks awful but is only a few keystrokes...

But i don't know whether it would be fewer keystrokes than all those squares and square roots...

try it and see which you prefer.

Last edited:
hmmm

S = RP/cos(ø)

and

AP = S X sin(ø)

so does AP = RP X sin(ø)/cos(ø)

or, AP = RP X tan(ø) ?
be careful about programming that into a calculator because it'll blow up at zero pf...

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It's great to see that you are actively seeking solutions to streamline your calculations. I am not familiar with the specific symbols used in Finland for electrical engineering, but I will try to provide a general response that can be applied to any system.

There are indeed different ways to calculate power factor from multiple sources. One approach is the method you have been using, which involves calculating the active and reactive powers of each source and then taking the square root of their sum to get the apparent power. This is a valid method and is commonly used in many applications.

Another approach is to use vectors to represent the active and reactive powers of each source. This method is known as the "vector sum" method and involves adding all the vectors representing the active and reactive powers and then finding the magnitude of the resulting vector to get the apparent power. The angle between the resulting vector and the active power vector represents the power factor.

There are also other methods, such as using phasor diagrams, that can be used to calculate power factor from multiple sources. The best approach will depend on the specific system and the level of accuracy required.

In terms of efficiency, using software or spreadsheets can greatly speed up the calculations for a large number of sources. Many programs even have built-in tools for calculating power factor from multiple sources.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Keep exploring and experimenting with different methods to find the most efficient and accurate approach for your specific application. Best of luck!

1. What is power factor and why is it important?

Power factor is a measure of the efficiency of an electrical system. It represents the ratio of real power (measured in watts) to apparent power (measured in volt-amperes). A high power factor indicates that a system is using its power efficiently, while a low power factor indicates that there is a loss of energy. It is important to maintain a high power factor to reduce energy waste and save money.

2. How is power factor typically calculated from a single source?

The most common method for calculating power factor from a single source is to use the cosine of the phase angle between the voltage and current waveforms. This is known as the displacement power factor and is often denoted as cos(φ).

3. What is the difference between displacement power factor and true power factor?

Displacement power factor only takes into account the phase angle between voltage and current, while true power factor also considers the effects of harmonic distortion. Harmonic distortion occurs when the voltage and current waveforms are not perfect sinusoids, which can result in a lower true power factor compared to the displacement power factor.

4. Can power factor be calculated from multiple sources?

Yes, power factor can be calculated from multiple sources by using a method called the parallel connection method. This involves calculating the power factor of each individual source and then combining them according to their proportionate contribution to the overall load. The resulting power factor will be a weighted average of the individual sources.

5. How can power factor be improved from multiple sources?

To improve the power factor from multiple sources, it is important to first identify the source(s) with the lowest power factor and take steps to correct it. This could include installing power factor correction capacitors or adjusting the phase angle of the voltage and current waveforms. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain the power factor to ensure it remains at an optimal level.