UPS that accepts multiple power sources

In summary, the device you are looking for is a UPS that can alternate between internal battery and external batteries during an outage.
Trainee Engineering
Hi,

I'm looking for a device that is able to provide stable power and alternate between power sources. UPS, no matter how good they are, they usually still have several millisecond downtime during outage, switching from power grid to backup battery. I want a device that can accept power from multiple sources, both AC and DC, store to some powerbank first (plugable modular powerbank would be nice) before distributing to house appliances.
The tool may look like this
tool_zpsjjdmoowe.png

This way, it can reliably provide electricity with stable voltage with no down time at all.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Larger Uninterruptible Power Supplies (>1KVA) are often designed so that the Inverter always supplies your load, and the incoming power both charges the batteries and powers the Inverter. When the incoming power fails there is no switching delay because the Inverter is already operating.

Incoming Power --> Battery --> Inverter --> Load

For a decent overview see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

Likes davenn
Tom.G said:
Larger Uninterruptible Power Supplies (>1KVA) are often designed so that the Inverter always supplies your load, and the incoming power both charges the batteries and powers the Inverter. When the incoming power fails there is no switching delay because the Inverter is already operating.

Incoming Power --> Battery --> Inverter --> Load

For a decent overview see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

I see. just to make sure, on that wikipedia article, what I'm looking for is the Online / Double Conversion UPS? and they can handle multiple power sources? so, I'll have an array of battery of 200 kWH for spare in case of outage.
thanks

Trainee Engineering said:
what I'm looking for is the Online / Double Conversion UPS?
Yes.
It's not that they handle multiple power sources. They are always supplying your load from the Inverter, which is supplied by the Battery, which is kept charged by the Incoming Power. If you have multiple options of incoming power you could switch the battery charging between them as needed, without interrupting your load.

Tom.G said:
Yes.
It's not that they handle multiple power sources. They are always supplying your load from the Inverter, which is supplied by the Battery, which is kept charged by the Incoming Power. If you have multiple options of incoming power you could switch the battery charging between them as needed, without interrupting your load.

so, there's a UPS that can alternate between internal battery and external batteries? because I'm sure the normal batteries inside UPS will only last like 30 mins tops, I have an array of batteries that can last days, so I want to alternate between main power grid and said array of batteries during outage.
thanks

Trainee Engineering said:
so, there's a UPS that can alternate between internal battery and external batteries?
Not that I'm aware of. Just connect all the batteries together and keep them charged.

P.S. I don't recall the details, but I've seen external battery packs advertised by at least one of the major UPS suppliers. Very large UPS installations (>10KWH) use only a separate bank, often located in a dedicated room to keep spills and corrosive fumes away from the electronics (and people.) In fact in the USA there are very specific safety requirements for battery bank installations. You must:
  • Contain spills (don't count on concrete floors to contain Lead-Acid batteries, the acid dissolves concrete, and the reinforcing steel bars in the concrete)
  • Supply adequate ventilation (Lead-Acid batteries emit explosive Hydrogen gas, especially during charging)
  • Meet Electrrical codes for Disconnect Switch, current limiting, etc. (A large battery bank easily supplies several thousand Amps into a short circuit)
Other battery chemistries have their own specific hazards.

Take care and have fun! Let us know how it all turns out.

1. What is a UPS that accepts multiple power sources?

A UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that accepts multiple power sources is a device that can receive power from different sources, such as a main power supply and a backup generator, and switch between them as needed to provide continuous power to connected devices.

2. What are the benefits of using a UPS that accepts multiple power sources?

One of the main benefits is increased power reliability. If one power source fails, the UPS can immediately switch to another source without interruption, keeping devices powered and preventing data loss. Additionally, using multiple power sources can help distribute the load and prevent overloading of a single power source.

3. How does a UPS that accepts multiple power sources work?

These UPS systems typically have multiple input connectors, each connected to a different power source. The UPS constantly monitors the power sources and automatically switches between them as needed. It also provides power conditioning and backup battery support to ensure a stable and uninterrupted power supply.

4. What types of devices can benefit from a UPS that accepts multiple power sources?

Any device that requires a continuous and reliable power supply can benefit from a UPS that accepts multiple power sources. This includes computers, servers, networking equipment, medical equipment, and more. It is especially useful in critical environments where even a brief power outage can have serious consequences.

5. How do I choose the right UPS that accepts multiple power sources for my needs?

When choosing a UPS, consider the power requirements of your devices, the number and type of power sources you need to connect, and the runtime you require during a power outage. It's also important to choose a UPS from a reputable brand and to properly size and maintain it to ensure optimal performance and protection for your devices.