1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiability and continuity

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    Hi. How do I show that f is differentiable, but f' is discontinuous at 0? I guess I'm just looking for a general idea to show discontinuity.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    First you will have to get clear about what f you have been given. If you are looking at some exercise, it must have given some definition f(x)=...

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    well. f(x)= x^2sin(1/x). I can define f(0) to be 0.

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
    The derivative becomes a function itself, [itex]f':\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex]. If you want to prove that it is not continuous, you should first solve its values [itex]f'(x)[/itex] for all x. In this case it is easiest to solve the derivative for [itex]x=0[/itex] and for [itex]x\neq 0[/itex] separately. For [itex]x\neq 0[/itex], you can solve [itex]f'(x)[/itex] by using the usual derivation rules. To solve [itex]f'(0)[/itex] it is best to use the definition of the derivative.

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5
    Would I use the Pinching Theorem to show that because the limit as h approaches 0 from both sides is 0, then the limit of hsin (1/h) is also 0?

7. Mar 4, 2008 #6
    yes! This is how you prove [itex]f'(0)=0[/itex].

8. Mar 4, 2008 #7
    Okay, I think I've done that. But I'm having a hard time grasping it. If I have already established that f'(0) does not exist, how did I just show that it is zero? Or does the fact that its limit is zero in itself show that it is discontinuous at 0?

9. Mar 4, 2008 #8
    You have done a mistake here. f'(0) exists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?