Differential amplifier with current mirror load

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the differential gain and common-mode gain for a circuit with Q3 and Q4 as constant current sources, using the expression i = isexp(Vbe/26mV). The differential gain can be computed by finding ic3 - ic4, while the common-mode gain is usually the differential output divided by a change in the common input voltage. However, the presence of the Early voltage of Q2 may affect the common-mode gain. The output resistances of Q3/Q4 can likely be ignored, but the base resistors RB cannot be ignored and must be taken into account. To find the common-mode gain, an AC ground must be assumed at the emitter of Q3 and a hybrid-p
brewface
The question and my attempt have been provided in the attachments...my problem is trying to find the differential gain, i have worked through to an answer but the answer I'm getting doesn't seem correct...also i have absolutely no idea how to derive the common-mode gain...any help is much appreciated

Attachments

• Full page photo.pdf
    749 KB · Views: 291
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 910
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the sum of currents thru Q3 and Q4 is constant = I. Use the expression i= isexp(Vbe/26mV) for Q3 and Q4. Vbe3 - Vbe4 = differential voltage input (except for the finite β which I'm ignoring (and maybe you're not supposed to). Now you can compute ic3 - ic4 and from that your differential gain.

The common-mode gain is usually the differential output divided by a change in the common input voltage, i.e. assuming Vin1 = Vin2. In that case, with transistors matched as stated, cm gain = 0. However, they might mean Vin1 ≠ Vin2 in which case the gain Vout/Vin, Vin = Vin1 - Vin2, will vary with the common-mode voltage (Vin1 + Vin2)/2. The cause here is the Early voltage of Q2 (∂I/∂Vce). I leave you to figure out the rest.

finding Ic3 and Ic4 are not difficult to do because of the current mirror load. you need the transconductance to find differential gain but I'm not sure whether or not to include the output impedance of the transistors.

The output resistances of Q3/Q4 are quite large at 100k versus the load resistances of Rc and RL (> 10x) and can probably be ignored since the resistance seen by the load cap is going to include a parallel combination of Rc and Ro.

What you can't ignore are the base resistors RB and you've done that by assuming there is no input base current. RB is almost equal to rPI so it's going to halve the voltage gain.

You'll have to assume an AC ground at the emitter of Q3 and use a hybrid-pi model of the transistor to get your equivalent half circuit and compute the gain from that.

brewface said:
...also i have absolutely no idea how to derive the common-mode gain...any help is much appreciated

I didn't notice the first time at looking at this that the output is single-ended. Raising vi1 and vi2 by a common voltage causes more current to flow through Q2. This current splits equally between Q3 and Q4 so that if the output is taken differentially, there is no change to the differential output voltage and common mode gain is zero. But single ended output is different. On one side of the differential pair, the increased current caused by higher emitter voltage on Q4 causes more current to flow through the output resistance of Q2 and this will cause a voltage drop at Vo. This gain is what you will need to compute.

1. What is a differential amplifier with current mirror load?

A differential amplifier with current mirror load is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies the difference between two input signals while maintaining a constant current through the load. It is commonly used in operational amplifiers, data acquisition systems, and other electronic devices.

2. How does a differential amplifier with current mirror load work?

A differential amplifier with current mirror load consists of two transistors, one serving as the input stage and the other as the output stage. The input stage amplifies the difference between the two input signals, while the output stage mirrors the current from the input stage to create a constant current through the load. This allows for high gain and improved linearity.

3. What are the advantages of using a differential amplifier with current mirror load?

One advantage of using a differential amplifier with current mirror load is its high input impedance, which minimizes the loading effect on the input signals. It also provides high gain and improved linearity, making it useful for accurate signal amplification. Additionally, it has good common-mode rejection, meaning it can reject unwanted signals that are present on both input signals.

4. What are some applications of differential amplifiers with current mirror load?

Differential amplifiers with current mirror load are commonly used in operational amplifiers, data acquisition systems, audio amplifiers, and measurement equipment. They can also be used in communication systems, feedback control systems, and instrumentation circuits.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a differential amplifier with current mirror load?

One potential drawback of using a differential amplifier with current mirror load is its sensitivity to temperature variations, which can affect the accuracy of the output signal. Additionally, it may require additional circuitry for temperature compensation or biasing to maintain stability and linearity. However, these drawbacks can be minimized with proper circuit design and component selection.