Finding the magnitude of the voltage gain in dB

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
CoolDude420
Messages
199
Reaction score
9

Homework Statement


Hi,
so in a MOSFET amplifier question(a common-source amplifier in particular), we are examining the effects of the parasitic capacitances of the MOSFET when included in the small-signal model. In particular, the gain of the amplifier with these capacitances.
So I derived the small-signal voltage gain including the parasitic capacitances as follows,

80e590234d.png

I verified that this is correct.

Now, I'm stuck on how to find the actual magnitude of the this gain in dB. The answer just skips directly to this,

34c5cffa16.png


I understand the first part of that, i.e that's the magnitude of the gain in dB of the top of the fraction and the following that should be the magnitude of the gain of the bottom (subtracted of course). I have no idea where second part is coming from.

Homework Equations


e97d60e21f.png

dBgain = 20log10(gain)

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • 80e590234d.png
    80e590234d.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 857
  • 34c5cffa16.png
    34c5cffa16.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 754
  • e97d60e21f.png
    e97d60e21f.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 735
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, they are doing a quotient of the form ## log(\frac{A}{B})=log(A)-log(B) ##. They also do a substitution ## \omega=2 \pi f ##. In addition, they used ## 20 \, log(\sqrt{C})=20 \, log(C^{1/2})=10 \, log (C) ##. (Note ## log(C^n)=n \, log(C) ##). The rest you should be able to figure out. ## \\ ## And I don't know why they put the last term in the form: ## \Big(\frac{f}{\frac{1}{(a+b)}} \Big)^2 ##. They could simply have written it as ## [ f(a+b)]^2 ##.
 
Last edited: