Is There a Simpler Way to Find the nth Differential Coefficient?

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the nth differential coefficient of \frac{x^2}{(x-a)(x-b)}
chaoseverlasting

Homework Statement

Im supposed to find the nth differential coeff. of [tex]\frac{x^2}{(x-a)(x-b)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using partial fractions, I simplified it to:

[tex]\frac{x^2}{(b-a)}(\frac{1}{x-a}-\frac{1}{x-b})[/tex]

To simplify matters, I assumed [tex]t=\frac{1}{x-a}-\frac{1}{x-b}[/tex].

This expression now becomes [tex]\frac{1}{b-a}x^2t[/tex].

Differentiating wrt x , [tex]\frac{1}{b-a}(2xt+x^2\frac{dt}{dx})[/tex]

I did this two more times, and it seems to be something like this:

[tex]\frac{d^ny}{dx^n}=\frac{1}{b-a}(2nx\frac{d^{n-2}t}{dx^{n-2}}+2nx\frac{d^{n-1}t}{dx^{n-1}}+x^2\frac{d^nt}{dx^n}[/tex]

Now, since [tex]t=\frac{1}{x-a}-\frac{1}{x-b}[/tex], similarly,

[tex]\frac{d^nt}{dx^n}=(-1)^nn!(\frac{1}{(x-a)^{-(n+1)}}-\frac{1}{(x-b)^{-(n+1)}})[/tex]

Substituting this in the above equation, I get another expression which is quite messed up. So far, is what I've done right? And is there another simpler way to do this? It seems to me that I've missed something somewhere which would make this problem a lot simpler, but I just can't find it. I don't think brute force is the only way to do this, and a push in the right direction would really be very welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
The partial fraction stuff isn't going well. First divide x^2 by the denominator. That will give you 1+(Ax+B)/((x-a)*(x-b)). Find A and B. Now with a little work you can find constants C and D so that this becomes 1+C/(x-a)+D/(x-b). Now THAT'S partial fractions.

Dick said:
The partial fraction stuff isn't going well. First divide x^2 by the denominator. That will give you 1+(Ax+B)/((x-a)*(x-b)). Find A and B. Now with a little work you can find constants C and D so that this becomes 1+C/(x-a)+D/(x-b). Now THAT'S partial fractions.

I don't get it. What did I do wrong? What I did pans out. I was just hoping there was a more elegant solution to the problem.

One thing I was thinking of was taking x to be a complex number of the form [tex]x=cos\theta + isin\theta[/tex], and then assuming [tex]cos\theta -a = rcos\phi[/tex] and [tex]sin\theta =rsin\phi[/tex] and going on from there if the current situation is an incomplete solution. Any insights would be highly appreciated.

chaoseverlasting said:
I don't get it. What did I do wrong? What I did pans out. I was just hoping there was a more elegant solution to the problem.

You didn't do anything wrong - you just didn't 'partial fraction' as much as you could. You still have an expression that gets overly complicated as you take more and more derivatives. As I said, you could reduce the expression to something of the form A+B/(x-a)+C/(x-b) which is manageable.

Dick said:
You didn't do anything wrong - you just didn't 'partial fraction' as much as you could. You still have an expression that gets overly complicated as you take more and more derivatives. As I said, you could reduce the expression to something of the form A+B/(x-a)+C/(x-b) which is manageable.

Ok. Ill try that.

1. What is a differential coefficient?

A differential coefficient is a mathematical concept used to measure the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also referred to as the derivative of a function.

2. How is a differential coefficient calculated?

The differential coefficient of a function is calculated by finding the limit of the ratio between the change in the value of the function and the change in the independent variable, as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.

3. What is the importance of the differential coefficient?

The differential coefficient is important because it helps us understand the behavior of functions and how they change over time or space. It is also used in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the differential coefficient be negative?

Yes, the differential coefficient can be negative. This occurs when the function is decreasing at a specific point, indicating a negative rate of change.

5. How is the differential coefficient related to the slope of a tangent line?

The differential coefficient is equal to the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on a graph. This means that it represents the steepness of the curve at that point and the direction in which the curve is changing.