1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation - Disappearing Term

1. Oct 16, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am struggling to find the solution to the following equation. I can't account for the exponential term, so clearly something is going wrong...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the general solution to ##x' = tx + 6te^{-t^2}## where ##x(t)##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Consider ##x' - tx = 0##

##\frac{dx}{dt} = tx##

##\frac{dx}{t} = t dt##
    Mod note: the above should be ##\frac{dx}{x} = t dt##
    integrating and exponentiating gives ##x = Ae^{\int t dt}##. Let ##I = \int t dt##

##x = A e^{I}## and rearranging gives ##A = x e^{-I}##

Differentiating yields ##A' = x'e^{-I} - t x e^{-I}##

Factoring out the exponential term, and recognising that this is the same as the initial equation.

##A' = e^{-I}(x' - tx) = e^{-I}(6te^{-t^{2}})##

##A = \int e^{-I}(x' - tx) dt = \int e^{-I}(6te^{-t^{2}}) dt## which simplifies to

##A = \int e^{-\frac{3}{2} t^{2} + c} 6t dt##

Using the substitution ## u = - \frac{3}{2} t^{2} ## I find that

##A = - 2 \int e^{u} du = -2e^c e^{- \frac{3}{2} t^{2}} + c##

##x = e^I A = e^{- \frac{1}{2} t^2}(-2 e^{- \frac{3}{2} t^{2}} + c)##

This is not a solution to my differential equation. The ##6t e^{-t^2}## term is nowhere to be seen.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2015 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I found easier than going through your arguments, just noticing that differentiating e-t2 gives you something very suggestive for a solution which I got.

4. Oct 16, 2015 #3
    The steps to solve a first order differential equation of the type ##y' + a y = b ##, where ##a,b## are continuous, real valued functions, are
    1 - Find the general solution ##y_0## of the equation when ##b=0##, these are ##\{ \lambda e^{-A}, \lambda\in\mathbb{R}, A \text{ primitive of } a \}##
    2 - Find a particular solution ##y_1## to the equation. In your case it requires no calculations.
    3 - Add these solutions to have the general solution of the equation

5. Oct 16, 2015 #4
    Hmm, you are right.

##x = \frac{1}{2} e^{t^{2}} - 3 e^{-t^{2}} + C##

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  6. Oct 16, 2015 #5
    Your answer is incomplete because the solution is not unique unless you have a condition such as ##x(t_0) = y_0##

7. Oct 16, 2015 #6
    Still incomplete, even with ##+C## :smile:. Read post #3

8. Oct 16, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your main error is that initially, ##x## was a solution of ##x' - tx = 0##. Then you put ##x' - tx = 6 t e^{-t^2}## in your expression for ##A'##. That is incorrect: as originally defined, ##A## was a constant, with ##A' = 0##, so you cannot just pull a switcheroo and suddenly make ##A'## non-zero, without at least changing the meaning of ##A##. Go back to tried-and-true methods, as presented in your textbook or (probably) your course notes.

9. Oct 16, 2015 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think that's quite right, it seems to me

x = -2 e-t2 + C

will do it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  10. Oct 16, 2015 #9
    No, the solutions are the ##x_\lambda(t) = -2e^{-t^2} + \lambda e^\frac{t^2}{2}##, ##\lambda\in\mathbb{R}##

11. Oct 16, 2015 #10

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:oldtongue::oldtongue:
    I only said #2 mine was A solution. :oldtongue:

12. Oct 17, 2015 #11
    The method I used is the same (I think) as presented in 'Maths Methods For the Physical Sciences' - Mary Boas, on page 346

It claims that ##y = e^{-I} \int Q e^{I} dx + C e^{-I}## is the general solution to a linear first order differential equation of the form ##y' + Py = Q##

13. Oct 17, 2015 #12
    I appreciate that you have all taken the time to help me here, but I think it's best I go back to square one, as you have highlighted some pretty core misunderstandings.

Thank you for your help.

14. Oct 17, 2015 #13

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The point here is that if you multiply ##x' - tx## by ##e^{-I}##, you turn it into the derivative of ##x e^{-I}##.

This line would be okay if you didn't say it was equal to A', which is equal to 0 because A is a constant.

You made a sign error. ##I##, as you defined it above, is equal to ##+\frac{t^2}{2}##, which gives you ##x(t) = -2 e^{-t^2} + c e^{t^2/2}##, which is the correct solution.

Note that for the general case you cited above, ##I## is defined as ##\int p(x)\,dx##, but the way you did it in this problem, you set ##I = -\int p(x)\,dx##. That's why you have the difference in sign.

15. Oct 17, 2015 #14
    The thing is that you need to be very careful with algebraic manipulations.
    For exemple, a division of your original DE by a function that has got one or several zeros in the interval you are interested in will force you to solve your DE in several sub-intervals and reconnect by continuity and differentiability the solutions found at the bounds.
    If you can't do these connections, your solution set is ##\emptyset## since your ##y## (or ##y'##) is not globally continuous.
    But you will never see that if you just divide and integrate.

16. Oct 17, 2015 #15
    I have worked through the problem again and arrived at the correct solution.

What I don't understand is why the derivative of the solution is not ## = tx + 6t e^{-t^{2}}##, but rather just ##tx##

17. Oct 17, 2015 #16

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You must be making a mistake when differentiating. I find ##x'(t) = 4 e^{-t^2} + c t e^{t^2/2}##. If you subtract ##xt## from that, you're left with ##6te^{-t^2}## as expected.

18. Oct 17, 2015 #17
    You are correct.

I missed the minus sign in my derivative.

Thank you.

19. Oct 17, 2015 #18

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope she does not actually say that, because as you have written it, it is either (i) wrong; (ii) inaccurate; (iii) misleading, or (iv) error-prone. What IS true is that the solution of ##y/ + P y = Q## has the form
    [tex] y =c e^{-q(t)} + e^{-q(t)} \int_0^t e^{q(s)} Q(s) \, ds = c e^{-q(t)} + \int_0^t e^{q(s) - q(t)} Q(s) \, ds, [/tex]
    where ##q(t) = \int_0^t Q(s) \, ds##. The correct formula involves specifying function arguments ##q(t)##, plus distinguishing between the variable ##t## in the solution ##y(t)## and the integration dummy variable ##s##. Just writing ##y = e^{-I} \int Q e^{I} dx + C e^{-I}## leaves way too much to the imagination and leaves way too much room for mistakes, etc.

20. Oct 18, 2015 #19
    My mistakes aside, my argument follows fairly closely the steps outlined in the book (see attached).

Could you recommend a more rigorous text? I am concerned that many of the explanations will be of similar calibre.

Attached Files:

21. Oct 18, 2015 #20
    It is incorrectly explained.
    Just an exemple, when she says around (3.3) second scan "We obtain a solution as follows : ##\frac{dy}{y} = -P dx## ...... ##\ln(y) = ...## ".

She doesn't know that ##y## does not cancel at some point on the interval of interest. You know it a posteriori, once you have found ##y##.
    So she assumes that the solution has no zero without even knowing it, and she uses divisions by ##y## and uses logarithm of ##y## at all points. It is incorrect !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted