Differential Equation expression help

In summary, Separation of Variables is important for solving differential equations and Gib Z's method is better for those that don't know how to solve them.
Moonflower
Here's the question:

Let f be the function satisfying f'(x)=x[tex]\sqrt{f(x)}[/tex] for all real numbers where f(3)=25.

a. Find f''(3)

b. Write an expression for y-f(x0 by solving the differential equation [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = x[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex] with the initial condition of f(3)=25.

For a, I got [tex]\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]+[tex]\sqrt{f(x)}[/tex], so my answer was [tex]\frac{19}{2}[/tex].

For b, I immediately substituted, getting dy/dx=3sqrt(25). then, dy/dx=15 -> dy=15dx -> integrate, y=15x+c, and since the initial condition is f(3)=25, by substitution, C=-20. My answer in the end was y=15x-20.

Am I on the right track? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't actually studied differential equations, so I don't know any methods to solve them, and this is coming from my own intuition so I advise you to read with caution :smile:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x\sqrt{y}[/tex]

[tex]y=\left(\frac{x^2}{4}+c}\right)^2[/tex]

would satisfy this differential.

I don't quite understand what part b) is asking though. Part a) is pretty easy if you know what the function is.

How did you get to that result? It satisfies, but I couldn't reach that result..

Moonflower said:
How did you get to that result? It satisfies, but I couldn't reach that result..

Separation of Variables. Also, your expression for the second derivative was correct, but 19/2 isn't so check your arithmetic.

well, 9/2 + 5 is 19/2, or 9.5 isn't it?

Also, can you describe me the process?

thanks.

Ahh foolish me, I put in x=5 rather than x=3, you are correct.

To separate variables, start with [tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}=x\sqrt{y}
[/tex] and then take over the [itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex] term to give [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{y}}\frac{dy}{dx} = x[/tex], then integrate both sides with respect to x.

Moonflower said:

This part is important to note:
Mentallic said:
I don't know any methods to solve them, and this is coming from my own intuition

I just realized that to get the square root of the function and have an x multiplied by it, I need a quadratic of the form ax2+c taking all to the 2nd power since we are going to minus one from the power, which is also the square root.

So we have [tex]y=(ax^2+c)^2[/tex] and then [tex]y'=2(ax^2+c).2ax=4ax(ax^2+c)[/tex]

Now we need a=1/4 to satisfy the problem.

Oh and Gib Z's method works much better for those that don't simply notice it! It did take longer to solve, but there, I've learned differentials.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It describes the rate at which the function changes and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model the behavior of systems.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The main purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the function that satisfies the equation. This can help in predicting the behavior of a system, understanding patterns and trends, and making predictions about future events.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are many methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and the use of Laplace transforms. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation and the initial conditions given.

4. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves a single independent variable and derivatives of a single dependent variable. A partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables and partial derivatives of a dependent variable. PDEs are often used to model systems with more complex behavior.

5. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of systems. They are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. Many natural phenomena can be described using differential equations, making them essential for scientific research and technological advancements.