1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation (Laplace transform involving a convolution)

1. Nov 26, 2015 #1
    So I have to solve an initial value problem involving the Laplace Transformation method. I have all the terms in Y(t) besides one term, I cannot figure how to change it from frequency domain back into time domain.

Not sure how to type in Latex, so i uploaded a picture, using the whiteboard feature on this webpage.

When I try to use the definition of the convolution, where F*G, I'm not sure what to do with unit function and
    cos(4t-4pie), in other words how to change them into tao.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2015 #2
    unit piecewise defined function, not unit function.

4. Nov 27, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should spend a few minutes and learn how to use LaTeX.

You have ##Y(s) = e^{-\pi s} \frac{s}{(s^2+16)^2}##. If you want to split it up and use convolution, I'd rewrite it as
    $$Y(s) = \frac 14 e^{-\pi s} \left(\frac{s}{s^2+16}\right)\left(\frac{4}{s^2+16}\right).$$ You can deal with the delay at the end. So now you have ##f(t) = \cos 4t## and ##g(t) = \sin 4t##. What's the definition of convolution?

5. Nov 27, 2015 #4
    Is there an easy guide to learning latex?

So I can post the response and make it easier for you guys.

6. Nov 27, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

7. Nov 27, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

If you click on "Reply" you'll be able to see the Latex instructions that others have used to produce their post.

8. Nov 27, 2015 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted