Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution

In summary, I was not able to do the problem in post #7 because I was sleep deprived. I got the answer for ##f(t)## and ##g(t)## from post #3.
mechGTO

Homework Statement

Determine the Laplace Transform of
∫(from 0 to t) (t-τ)cos(2(t-τ))e-4τ

using Laplace Transform tables.

Homework Equations

I know the basic convolution theorem is
(f*g)(t) = ∫f(τ)g(t-τ)dτ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if this is double convolution or if I'm missing an easy substitution.

Physics news on Phys.org
mechGTO said:

Homework Statement

Determine the Laplace Transform of
∫(from 0 to t) (t-τ)cos(2(t-τ))e-4τ

using Laplace Transform tables.

Homework Equations

I know the basic convolution theorem is
(f*g)(t) = ∫f(τ)g(t-τ)dτ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if this is double convolution or if I'm missing an easy substitution.

1. What are ##f(t)## and ##g(t)## in this problem?
2. What is the formula for ##\mathcal L(f*g)##?

1. I'm not sure because I've never seen (t-tau) twice in one of these.
2. Laplace(f*g) = F(s)G(s)

mechGTO said:
1. I'm not sure because I've never seen (t-tau) twice in one of these.

As an example, what would ##g(t-\tau)## be for ##g(t) = t^2\sin(t)##?

In that problem, it would be setup so that f(t) = t^2 and g(t) = sin(t) making the convolution integral

∫ from 0 to t: t2*sin(t-τ) dτ

and then integrated using trig identities

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
As an example, what would ##g(t-\tau)## be for ##g(t) = t^2\sin(t)##?

mechGTO said:
In that problem, it would be setup so that f(t) = t^2 and g(t) = sin(t) making the convolution integral

∫ from 0 to t: t2*sin(t-τ) dτ

and then integrated using trig identities

No. You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask you anything about convolution. Given ##g(t) = t^2\sin(t)## what would ##g(\pi/2)## be? ##g(s)##? ##g(t-\tau)##?

[itex]\int_0^t (t-\tau)cos(2(t-\tau))e^{-4\tau} d\tau[/itex]

it looks as if f(t) = t and g(t) = cos(2*f(t))

Would it make sense to do a simple substitution and end up doing the integral

[itex]\int_0^t u\cdot cos(2u) du[/itex]

giving [itex]\frac{1}{2} u\cdot sin(2u) + cos(2u)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2} t\cdot sin(2t) + cos(2t)[/itex]

and then taking the laplace of those?

LCKurtz said:
No. You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask you anything about convolution. Given ##g(t) = t^2\sin(t)## what would ##g(\pi/2)## be? ##g(s)##? ##g(t-\tau)##?

I would say g(t-τ) would be (t-τ)2sin(t-τ)

mechGTO said:
[itex]\int_0^t (t-\tau)cos(2(t-\tau))e^{-4\tau} d\tau[/itex]

it looks as if f(t) = t and g(t) = cos(2*f(t))

Would it make sense to do a simple substitution and end up doing the integral

[itex]\int_0^t u\cdot cos(2u) du[/itex]

giving [itex]\frac{1}{2} u\cdot sin(2u) + cos(2u)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2} t\cdot sin(2t) + cos(2t)[/itex]

and then taking the laplace of those?

No. You are missing the point of the problem. Just answer my question in my previous post for now. That will maybe give you an idea.

mechGTO said:
I would say g(t-τ) would be (t-τ)2sin(t-τ)

OK, so you see how you can have more than one ##t-\tau## for a function. Now can you identify ##f(t)## and ##g(t)## in your original problem?

LCKurtz said:
OK, so you see how you can have more than one ##t-\tau## for a function. Now can you identify ##f(t)## and ##g(t)## in your original problem?

Yes, I do. Does that mean my attempt was incorrect?

LCKurtz said:

mechGTO said:
Yes, I do. Does that mean my attempt was incorrect?

If you mean your attempt in post #7, yes that is incorrect. Where did the exponential go in that post? But never mind that. What do you get for ##f(t)## and ##g(t)##? Do you see how to do the problem knowing those and using post #3?

ahh, got it. thanks a lot.

(sleep deprivation makes you miss things)

1. What is Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution?

Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations by converting them into algebraic equations. It combines the Laplace Transform, which converts a function of time into a function of frequency, with the Integral Convolution, which is a method for solving convolution integrals. This allows for a more efficient and accurate solution to differential equations.

2. How does Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution work?

In Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution, the Laplace Transform is applied to the differential equation to convert it into an algebraic equation. Then, the Integral Convolution is used to solve the convolution integral in the equation. This results in a solution that is in the frequency domain, which can then be converted back to the time domain using the Inverse Laplace Transform.

3. What are the benefits of using Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution?

Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution offers several benefits, including a more efficient and accurate solution to differential equations, the ability to handle complex and non-linear systems, and the ability to analyze the behavior of a system in the frequency domain. It also allows for the use of initial conditions and boundary conditions, making it a versatile tool for solving a wide range of problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution?

Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution is commonly used in engineering and physics to model and analyze systems with differential equations. It has applications in fields such as electrical engineering, control systems, signal processing, and fluid mechanics. It is also used in economics, biology, and other sciences to model dynamic systems.

5. Are there any limitations to Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution?

While Laplace Transform with Integral Convolution is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for linear differential equations, and may not be suitable for systems with highly complex or non-linear behavior. It also requires a good understanding of the theory and mathematical concepts involved, making it challenging for some users to apply. Additionally, it may not always provide a physical interpretation of the solution, and the results may need to be verified through other means.