Differential equation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation problem where the function acceleration is given as a=-1.5*s, where s is a position, and the problem is to find a in terms of t. The conversation goes on to discuss using the equation d^2*s/dt^2 = -1.5*s and attempting to separate the variables, but the method cannot generally be used for second order differential equations. The speaker suggests using the standard method of taking an Ansatz and substituting it into the ODE. They also mention using Laplace transforms and provide a website as a reference. The conversation then continues to discuss taking the second derivative of the Ansatz and solving for lambda, resulting in a general solution of s(t) =
yoamocuy
differential equation problem :(

Homework Statement

I'm given a function acceleration a=-1.5*s, where s is a position. I need to find a in terms of t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a is also equal to d^2*s/dt^2. Therefore d^2*s/dt^2 is equal to -1.5*s. By dividing by s and multiplying by dt^2 I get d^2*s/s=-1.5*dt^2. At this point I'm not sure what to do. If I can figure out how to get rid of the dt^2 and the d^2*s, then I can probably solve the rest of the problem. I imagine I need to integrate but am not sure how that would work out.

Physics news on Phys.org

yoamocuy said:

Homework Statement

I'm given a function acceleration a=-1.5*s, where s is a position. I need to find a in terms of t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a is also equal to d^2*s/dt^2. Therefore d^2*s/dt^2 is equal to -1.5*s. By dividing by s and multiplying by dt^2 I get d^2*s/s=-1.5*dt^2. At this point I'm not sure what to do. If I can figure out how to get rid of the dt^2 and the d^2*s, then I can probably solve the rest of the problem. I imagine I need to integrate but am not sure how that would work out.
You cannot simply 'divide' and 'multiply' differentials like that. I know many non-mathematical sciences courses will tell you that it is fine to do so, but it is simply wrong.

I see that you are attempting to separate the variables, however, this method cannot generally be used for second order differential equations. What methods have you learned for solving second order, homogeneous ODE's?

Well this is actually just a physics class so we haven't learned any methods for solving differential equations. I've taken calculus classes but won't be taking differential equations until next semester so I've just been looking through notes online trying to figure out how to solve this question.

yoamocuy said:
Well this is actually just a physics class so we haven't learned any methods for solving differential equations. I've taken calculus classes but won't be taking differential equations until next semester so I've just been looking through notes online trying to figure out how to solve this question.
The standard method of solving such problems is to take an Ansatz of the form

[tex]s = Ae^{\lambda t}[/tex]

and substitute that into the ODE.

I'm sorry that I don't know of any good online references for DE's, but I'm sure someone here will be able to suggest a suitable reference.

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll keep searching and working with it.

yoamocuy said:
Ok, thanks for the help. I'll keep searching and working with it.
If you would like to post your working, I'd be more than happy to help you with it. All you need to do is substitute that Astatz I gave you into the ODE and you should find that you have a rather simple equation to solve.

Ok, I got an equation that looks like s^2*e^((lambda)*t)=-1.5, but when I try to solve for the roots it isn't possible. Am I still completely off on my attempt?

yoamocuy said:
Ok, I got an equation that looks like s^2*e^((lambda)*t)=-1.5, but when I try to solve for the roots it isn't possible. Am I still completely off on my attempt?
I'm not sure how you've managed to get that. Can you work out what

[tex]\frac{d^2 s}{dt^2} = \frac{d^2}{dt^2} Ae^{\lambda t}[/tex]

is?

Ug I don't even know what I'm supposed to be solving for there. On the sites I've been looking at, it looks like they are just taking a Laplace transform and multiplying each differntial by e^-((lambda)*t)

yoamocuy said:
Ug I don't even know what I'm supposed to be solving for there. On the sites I've been looking at, it looks like they are just taking a Laplace transform and multiplying each differntial by e^-((lambda)*t)
I was simply asking what is the second derivative of [itex]Ae^{\lambda t}[/itex] with respect to t?

Of course, you can use Laplace transforms if you like, but it is much more straightforward (if a little inelegant) to us an Anstatz.

I took the second derivitive of that and got A*(lambda)^2*e^((lambda)*t). Would lambda be -2 for that?

I also tried using Laplace transforms and ended up with s^2+1.5=0, which has imaginary roots.

yoamocuy said:
I took the second derivitive of that and got A*(lambda)^2*e^((lambda)*t). Would lambda be -2 for that?
You're on the right lines. So let's take a look at the over all equation,

[tex]A\lambda^2 e^{\lambda t} = -1.5Ae^{\lambda t}[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]\lambda^2 = -1.5[/tex]

Do you agree?

Yea, I agree with that, but if I solve for lambda I get j1.22. What can I do with that?

yoamocuy said:
Yea, I agree with that, but if I solve for lambda I get j1.22. What can I do with that?
Simple, you have determined lambda, so you now have the [general] solution,

[tex]s\left(t\right) = A\exp\left(i\sqrt{1.5}t\right)[/tex]

That is it. You have now found the general solution to the ODE. You can use Euler's relation to write it in a 'nicer' form, but you have found a valid solution.

1. What is a differential equation problem?

A differential equation problem is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between the function and its derivatives, and is often used to model natural phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

The types of differential equations include ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs have a single independent variable, while PDEs have multiple independent variables. ODEs can be further classified as first order, second order, or higher order, depending on the highest derivative present in the equation.

3. How do you solve a differential equation problem?

There are several methods for solving a differential equation problem, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and series solutions. The appropriate method depends on the type and complexity of the equation. In some cases, a differential equation may not have an explicit solution and numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.

4. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they provide a mathematical framework for describing and predicting how natural systems change over time. They are used to model a wide range of phenomena, from population growth to the behavior of electric circuits. By solving differential equations, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous real-world applications, including in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, the spread of disease, the growth of populations, and the behavior of electrical circuits, among many other things. Differential equations are also essential in developing mathematical models for understanding and predicting climate change and other environmental phenomena.