Differential Equation - Proof - Feedback.

In summary, the conversation is about a proof for Lemma 2.4, which states that if f has a second derivative everywhere and satisfies certain conditions, then f(x) = 0 for all x. The conversation discusses using the given facts, f(0) = f''(0) = 0, to determine the constant C in the proof. The conversation ends with the understanding that the proof can be completed by using these facts to determine the constant C.
PFStudent
Hey,

1. Homework Statement .
I wrote my own proof for the below, I was wondering if you guys could take a look at it and give me some feedback please. Particularly, I would like to know if this proof is rigorous enough.

Lemma 2.4 - Suppose f has a second derivative everywhere, and that,
[tex]
{{f} + {f^{\prime\prime}}} = {0}
[/tex]
[tex]
{f(0)} = {0}
[/tex]
[tex]
{f^{\prime\prime}(0)}} = {0}
[/tex]

Then,
[tex]
{f(x)} = {0}
[/tex]

2. Homework Equations .
Knowledge of Calculus.

3. The Attempt at a Solution .
Let,
[tex]
{{f(x)}, {{{f}^{\prime}}{(x)}}, {{{f}^{\prime\prime}}{(x)}},...,} = {{f}, {{f}^{\prime}}, {{f}^{\prime\prime}},...,}
[/tex]

Prove that,
[tex]
{f} = {0}
[/tex]

Proof,
[tex]
{{f}+{f^{\prime\prime}}} = {0}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\left({{f}^{\prime}}\right)}{\left({{f}+{{f}^{\prime\prime}}}\right)}} = {\left({0}\right)}{\left({{f}^{\prime}}\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({{f}+{{f}^{\prime\prime}}}\right)}} = {0}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\int_{}^{}}{\left[{{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({{f}{+{{f}^{\prime\prime}}}}\right)}}\right]}{dx}} = {{\int_{}^{}}{\left[{0}\right]}{dx}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
Let
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{0} = {a}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\int_{}^{}}}{f}{{f}^{\prime}}{dx}+{{\int_{}^{}}{{f}^{\prime}}{{f}^{\prime\prime}}{dx}}} = {{{\int_{}^{}}}{\left({a}\right)}{dx}}
[/tex]

Let,
[tex]
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{u} = {f}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{v} = {{f}^{\prime}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{du} = {{{f}^{\prime}}{dx}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{dv} = {{{f}^{\prime\prime}}{dx}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\int_{}^{}}{\left({u}\right)}{\left({du}\right)}}+{{\int_{}^{}}{\left({v}\right)}{\left({dv}\right)}}} = {{\int_{}^{}}{a}{dx}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\left({{\frac{{u}^{2}}{2}}+{{C}_{1}}}\right)}+{\left({{\frac{{v}^{2}}{2}}+{{C}_{2}}}\right)}} = {\left({{ax}+{C}}\right)}
[/tex]

Let,
[tex]
{{{C}_{1}}+{{C}_{2}}} = {C}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\frac{1}{2}}{\left({{{\left({f}\right)}^{2}}+{{\left({{f}^{\prime}}\right)}^{2}}}\right)}}+{\left({C}\right)}} = {{{\left({0}\right)}{x}}+{C}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\frac{1}{2}}{{\left({{{f}^{2}}+{{{f}^{\prime}}^{2}}}\right)}}} = {0}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\left({{{f}^{2}}+{{{f}^{\prime}}^{2}}}\right)}}} = {0}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\left({f(x)}\right)}^{2}}{+}{{\left({{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({x}\right)}}\right)}^{2}}} = {0}
[/tex]
, for all [itex]{x}[/itex].

This implies that [tex]{{f(x)} = {0}}[/tex] for all [itex]{x}[/itex].

[tex]
{\therefore}
[/tex]

[tex]
{f} = {0}
[/tex]

Thanks,

-PFStudent
EDIT: Thanks for the edit HallsofIvy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PFStudent said:
Hey,

1. Homework Statement .
I wrote my own proof for the below, I was wondering if you guys could take a look at it and give me some feedback please. Particularly, I would like to know if this proof is rigorous enough.

Lemma 2.4 - Suppose f has a second derivative everywhere, and that,
[tex]
{{f} + {f^{\prime\prime}}} = {0}
[/tex]
[tex]
{f(0)} = {0}
[/tex]
[tex]
[/tex]

Then,
[tex]
{f(0)} = {0}
[/tex]
You mean [tex]f(x)= 0[/tex] for all x.

2. Homework Equations .
Knowledge of Calculus.

3. The Attempt at a Solution .
Let,
[tex]
{{f(x)}, {{{f}^{\prime}}{(x)}}, {{{f}^{\prime\prime}}{(x)}},...,} = {{f}, {{f}^{\prime}}, {{f}^{\prime\prime}},...,}
[/tex]

Prove that,
[tex]
{f} = {0}
[/tex]

Proof,
[tex]
{{f}+{f^{\prime\prime}}} = {0}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\left({{f}^{\prime}}\right)}{\left({{f}+{{f}^{\prime\prime}}}\right)}} = {\left({0}\right)}{\left({{f}^{\prime}}\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({{f}+{{f}^{\prime\prime}}}\right)}} = {0}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\int_{}^{}}{\left[{{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({{f}{+{{f}^{\prime\prime}}}}\right)}}\right]}{dx}} = {{\int_{}^{}}{\left[{0}\right]}{dx}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
Let
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{0} = {a}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\int_{}^{}}}{f}{{f}^{\prime}}{dx}+{{\int_{}^{}}{{f}^{\prime}}{{f}^{\prime\prime}}{dx}}} = {{{\int_{}^{}}}{\left({a}\right)}{dx}}
[/tex]

Let,
[tex]
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{u} = {f}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{v} = {{f}^{\prime}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\int_{}^{}}{\left({u}\right)}{\left({du}\right)}}+{{\int_{}^{}}{\left({v}\right)}{\left({dv}\right)}}} = {{\int_{}^{}}{a}{dx}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\left({{\frac{{u}^{2}}{2}}+{{C}_{1}}}\right)}+{\left({{\frac{{v}^{2}}{2}}+{{C}_{2}}}\right)}} = {\left({{ax}+{C}}\right)}
[/tex]

Let,
[tex]
{{{C}_{1}}+{{C}_{2}}} = {C}
[/tex]
No. C1, C2, and C are arbitrary constants. You can't just assume they cancel. You can, of course, use the given facts that f(0)=0 and f'(0)= 0.

[tex]
{{{\frac{1}{2}}{\left({{{\left({f}\right)}^{2}}+{{\left({{f}^{\prime}}\right)}^{2}}}\right)}}+{\left({C}\right)}} = {{{\left({0}\right)}{x}}+{C}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\frac{1}{2}}{{\left({{{f}^{2}}+{{{f}^{\prime}}^{2}}}\right)}}} = {0}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\left({{{f}^{2}}+{{{f}^{\prime}}^{2}}}\right)}}} = {0}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\left({f(x)}\right)}^{2}}{+}{{\left({{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({x}\right)}}\right)}^{2}}} = {0}
[/tex]
, for all [itex]{x}[/itex].

This implies that [tex]{{f(x)} = {0}}[/tex] for all [itex]{x}[/itex].

[tex]
{\therefore}
[/tex]

[tex]
{f} = {0}
[/tex]

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Hey,
HallsofIvy said:
No. C1, C2, and C are arbitrary constants. You can't just assume they cancel. You can, of course, use the given facts that f(0)=0 and f'(0)= 0.

Thanks, ok I understand I need to use the given facts,
[tex]
{f(0)} = {0}
[/tex]
[tex]
[/tex]

However, I'm just not sure how to use those facts. In addition, addressing the point about the constants I reworked the problem to where I am still stuck,

[tex]
[/tex]

Let,
[tex]
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{u} = {f}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{v} = {{f}^{\prime}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\left({{\frac{{u}^{2}}{2}}+{{C}_{1}}}\right)}+{\left({{\frac{{v}^{2}}{2}}+{{C}_{2}}}\right)}} = {\left({{ax}+{{C}_{3}}}\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\frac{1}{2}}{\left({{{\left({f}\right)}^{2}}+{{\left({{f}^{\prime}}\right)}^{2}}}\right)}}+{{C}_{1}}+{{C}_{2}}} = {{{\left({0}\right)}{x}}+{{C}_{3}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\frac{1}{2}}{{\left({{{f}^{2}}+{{{f}^{\prime}}^{2}}}\right)}}+{{C}_{1}}+{{C}_{2}}} = {{C}_{3}}
[/tex]

I'm not sure from here how to use the given facts to finish the proof, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
PFStudent said:
Hey,

Thanks, ok I understand I need to use the given facts,
[tex]
{f(0)} = {0}
[/tex]
[tex]
[/tex]

However, I'm just not sure how to use those facts. In addition, addressing the point about the constants I reworked the problem to where I am still stuck,

[tex]
[/tex]

Let,
[tex]
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{u} = {f}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{v} = {{f}^{\prime}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\left({{\frac{{u}^{2}}{2}}+{{C}_{1}}}\right)}+{\left({{\frac{{v}^{2}}{2}}+{{C}_{2}}}\right)}} = {\left({{ax}+{{C}_{3}}}\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{{\frac{1}{2}}{\left({{{\left({f}\right)}^{2}}+{{\left({{f}^{\prime}}\right)}^{2}}}\right)}}+{{C}_{1}}+{{C}_{2}}} = {{{\left({0}\right)}{x}}+{{C}_{3}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\frac{1}{2}}{{\left({{{f}^{2}}+{{{f}^{\prime}}^{2}}}\right)}}+{{C}_{1}}+{{C}_{2}}} = {{C}_{3}}
[/tex]
Which is the same as saying
[tex]{{\frac{1}{2}}{{\left({{{f}^{2}}+{{{f}^{\prime}}^{2}}}\right)}} = C[/tex]
Since, while you cannot assume the constants cancel, you can combine them into a single constant. Now use the fact that f(0)= f"(0)= 0 to determine C.

I'm not sure from here how to use the given facts to finish the proof, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Hey,
HallsofIvy said:
Which is the same as saying
[tex]
{{\frac{1}{2}}{{\left({{{f}^{2}}+{{{f}^{\prime}}^{2}}}\right)}} = C
[/tex]
Since, while you cannot assume the constants cancel, you can combine them into a single constant.
Thanks, ok so combining the constants I end up with the following,
[tex]
[/tex]

Let,
[tex]
{C} = {{{C}_{3}}-{\left({{{C}_{1}}+{{C}_{2}}}\right)}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\frac{1}{2}}{{\left({{{f}^{2}}+{{{f}^{\prime}}^{2}}}\right)}}} = {\left({C}\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\frac{1}{2}}{{\left({f(x)}\right)}^{2}}+{{\left({{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({x}\right)}}\right)}^{2}}} = {C}
[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Now use the fact that f(0)= f"(0)= 0 to determine C.
Err, it seems I made a typo in the beginning rather than,
[tex]
{{{f}^{\prime\prime}}{(0)}} = {0}
[/tex]

It should be,
[tex]
{{{f}^{\prime}}{(0)}} = {0}
[/tex]

That being said, I do not think that changes the problem significantly. So, going back to using the facts given,
[tex]
{f(0)} = {0}
[/tex]
[tex]
{{{f}^{\prime}}{(0)}} = {0}
[/tex]

While I am familiar with solving differential equations using initial conditions and I think that is what is being hinted at in this step. I'm not quite sure how I would use the two equations above to solve for the constant [tex]{C}[/tex]. Maybe I would integrate the [tex]{{f}^{\prime}}[/tex] function but that doesn't make since, because I only know the value of the function when [tex]{{x} = {0}}[/tex]. A little more elaboration would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the help. :smile:

Thanks,

-PFStudent

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It involves variables, constants, and their derivatives, and it is used to model various physical, chemical, and biological phenomena.

2. How do you prove a differential equation?

To prove a differential equation, you need to show that the given equation satisfies all the conditions for a valid differential equation. This includes ensuring that the equation is continuous, differentiable, and has a unique solution for the given initial conditions. Additionally, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration to simplify and solve the equation.

3. What is feedback in the context of differential equations?

In differential equations, feedback refers to the process of using the output of a system to adjust the input or parameters of the system. This helps to regulate and control the behavior of the system, and it is commonly used in engineering and physics to design systems with desired properties.

4. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in various fields of science to model and study real-world phenomena. They are particularly useful in physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering to describe the behavior of systems and predict their future states. They are also used extensively in data analysis and machine learning to make accurate predictions and decisions.

5. Can differential equations be solved without using a computer?

Yes, differential equations can be solved using analytical techniques without the use of a computer. These methods involve manipulating the equation algebraically to find a closed-form solution. However, for complex and nonlinear equations, numerical methods and computer simulations may be necessary to obtain a solution.