Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differential equation separated variables

1. Jan 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I solved this equation and I was wondering if it's correctly solved...Also, I have one question: In my equation,at the very end, is it possible to calculate the value of V?I have solved other exercises where the final equation was,for example: y + ln[y - 1] = ex + C . Is it possible to simplificate it more?

2. Relevant equations

Image below

3. The attempt at a solution

Image below

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2007 #2
    Anyone help?

4. Jan 2, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think the reason that noone has helped is that the attachment is still pending approval. You may have to wait a while for it to be approved.

5. Jan 2, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You have a couple of missing negatives: at one point [itex]-(1-\frac{1}{v}[/itex] becomes [itex]-1-\frac{1}{v}[/itex]. I would recommend that you rewrite -(1- v) as v- 1.

In this case, no it is not possible to simplify it any more. That's typical separable differential equations- you cannot generally solve for one variable as a function of the other.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook