1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation separated variables

1. Jan 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I solved this equation and I was wondering if it's correctly solved...Also, I have one question: In my equation,at the very end, is it possible to calculate the value of V?I have solved other exercises where the final equation was,for example: y + ln[y - 1] = ex + C . Is it possible to simplificate it more?

2. Relevant equations

Image below

3. The attempt at a solution

Image below

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2007 #2
    Anyone help?

4. Jan 2, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think the reason that noone has helped is that the attachment is still pending approval. You may have to wait a while for it to be approved.

5. Jan 2, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have a couple of missing negatives: at one point [itex]-(1-\frac{1}{v}[/itex] becomes [itex]-1-\frac{1}{v}[/itex]. I would recommend that you rewrite -(1- v) as v- 1.

In this case, no it is not possible to simplify it any more. That's typical separable differential equations- you cannot generally solve for one variable as a function of the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?