What Are the Applications of Differential Equations in Mathematics?

In summary, this week in Maths we covered the basics of solving differential equations by finding approximate values of y for an equation given the derivative and a pair of co-ordinates. Differential equations are often used in fields such as physics, finance, and engineering, and cannot always be explicitly solved, requiring numerical methods for approximation. They are also used to analyze systems and describe their behavior.
James...
We did the basics of solving differential equations in Maths this week, well, it was actually just finding other approximate values of y for an equation given the derivative and a pair of co-ordinates on it.

Are these for equations that cannot be subject to intergration?

Also, what can they be applied to? I'm going to study Maths at University next year and have seen a lot of modules are based on differential equations, will this likely be using more accurate ways of solving the equation, or using it to explain things that are actually happening?

Our tutor wasn't very clued up on them and they got me interested.

Cheers
James

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, many differential equations can not be explicitly solved, and numerical methods are used to approximate solutions of them.

Your second question has a very long answer. The short answer is they are used in almost any field that involves mathematics beyond calculus. Just a few examples are:

Equations of motion
Electric circuits
Mechanical systems
Finance
Thermodynamics

The full list would be very long.

I'm currently taking ODE in college, so let's see if my education is doing me any good :biggrin:

Let's say you have a derivative -

[tex]f'(x)=3x^{2}[/tex]

That's easy enough to solve by integration --

[tex]\int f'(x) dx = \int 3x^2 dx [/tex]

[tex]f(x) = x^3 + C[/tex]

Notice in the original equation that [tex]f'(x)[/tex] is ONLY dependent on x.

Now look at this DE -

[tex]f'(x) = - f(x)[/tex]

Here, [tex]f'(x)[/tex] is dependent on [tex]f(x)[/tex]

If you integrate, you wind up with

[tex]f(x) = - \int f(x) dx [/tex]

Which really doesn't help much. (well, I suppose you could guess at it for such a simple case).

Using other methods, you can actually solve for [tex]f(x)[/tex] in terms of x.

e.g., [tex] f(x)=e^{-x}[/tex]Hopefully that helps a little. (and hopefully I didn't botch it too badly)

Last edited:
Differential equations are not a tool to describe systems, differential equations are results of system analysis: once you analyze a system which changes in respect to its current state, you can have no other result but an ODE (or PDE).

1. What are differential equations used for?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and analyze various physical, biological, and social systems, such as population growth, fluid mechanics, and electrical circuits.

2. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding the exact form of the solution using techniques such as separation of variables, while numerical solutions use algorithms and computer programs to approximate the solution.

3. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations describe the behavior of a single function, while partial differential equations describe the relationship between multiple functions.

4. What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, biology, economics, and finance. Some examples include modeling the spread of diseases, predicting weather patterns, designing circuits, and analyzing stock market trends.

5. Are there any limitations to using differential equations?

While differential equations are a powerful tool for modeling and analyzing complex systems, they do have limitations. Some systems may not be accurately represented by differential equations, and some equations may not have analytical solutions. In addition, the accuracy of numerical solutions depends on the chosen method and the precision of the calculations.