1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation with singular boundary conditions

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    Hey guys, just need some hints with this doosey

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have
    (x^2 y')' + ax^2y = 0 where a the eigenvalue (a sturm-lioville problem) (sp?)
    with y'(0)=y(1) = 0 and we get the hint to substitute f = y/x.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so i get the general solution being a sum of cosines and sines and i fiddled around a LOT with limits and exponentials and small angle approximations etc to try and get around the fact that the function blows up at x = 0 and were supposed to fit a boundary condition there. In all my efforts, the ones that make SOME sense, i get the eigen values = 0 which kind of makes it a trivial problem. I also tried taking advantage of the orthogonality of solutions given we know the weighting function x^2 but that required me to know what at least one eigenvalue was, and when i tried zero i had trouble solving exactly for the second but graphically it appeared to be close to root 2 but not quite.

Im sure im missing something stupid so if you could, gently, point that out that would be super =)

EDIT: i also tried a series expansion with the first 3 terms for sine and cos but got lost =( i thought about trying a general series solution but wasnt sure
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, using hint would be a good start! If you let u= y/x, so that y= xu, what does the equation become?
  4. Apr 9, 2008 #3
    With the substitution u=y/x equation becomes
    which has solution
    u=c1*cos(kx)+c2*sin(kx) [k=sqrt(a)]
    so that
    So doing y'(0)=c1=0 y(1)=c1*cos(k)+c2*sin(k)=0
    i.e. y=0, onlythe trivial solution ?
  5. Apr 9, 2008 #4
    Thats what i got (sorry if it wasnt obvious, yeh i used the hint =) )
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?