Solution to Initial Value Problem: dy/dx = y-3, y(0)=4

In summary: C + 3 => C = 1Therefore, the solution to the initial value problem is y = e^x + 3. In summary, the solution to the initial value problem dy/dx = y-3, with initial condition y(0) = 4, is y = e^x + 3.
Mitchtwitchita
The solution of the initial value problem, dy/dx = y-3. y(0) = 4, what does y=?

dy/y-3 = dx
1/y-3 dy = dx
ln(y-3) = ? + C

I have no idea how to do this one, can anybody please help me out? I'm having a hard time seeing how to separate the y and the -3 or if they are separable at all.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mitchtwitchita said:
The solution of the initial value problem, dy/dx = y-3. y(0) = 4, what does y=?

dy/y-3 = dx
1/y-3 dy = dx
ln(y-3) = ? + C

I have no idea how to do this one, can anybody please help me out? I'm having a hard time seeing how to separate the y and the -3 or if they are separable at all.

well you started it right:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=y-3=>\frac{dy}{y-3}=dx[/tex]

Now to get our answer we integrate both parts

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{y-3}=\int dx=>ln(y-3)=x+C[/tex]

Now do you know how to isolate y by itself. Hint: remember that ln and the exponential function with base "e" are inverses. So, exponentiate both sides, and try to go as further as you can. If you're still stuck, ask again.

I do. thanks stupidmath. I guess it was the "invisible" x that got me.

y-3 = Ce^x
y = Ce^x + 3

Mitchtwitchita said:
I do. thanks stupidmath. I guess it was the "invisible" x that got me.

y-3 = Ce^x
y = Ce^x + 3

Now apply your initial conditons to find C.

What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding the function that satisfies the equation and also passes through a given point. In this case, the point is (0,4), meaning that the solution must have a y-value of 4 when x=0.

What does dy/dx represent in this equation?

dy/dx represents the derivative of the function y with respect to x. In other words, it represents the rate of change of y with respect to x at any given point on the graph of the function.

How do I solve this initial value problem?

To solve this initial value problem, you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves isolating all instances of y on one side of the equation and all instances of x on the other side, and then integrating both sides. You will then be able to solve for y and find the general solution. Finally, you can use the initial condition (y(0)=4) to find the particular solution.

What is the general solution to this initial value problem?

The general solution to this initial value problem is y=3e^x+C, where C is a constant. This can be obtained by integrating both sides of the equation and solving for y. However, the particular solution will vary depending on the given initial condition.

What does the solution to this initial value problem represent?

The solution represents the function that satisfies the given equation and also passes through the given point (0,4). It can be used to model real-world situations or to make predictions about the behavior of the system described by the initial value problem.